Smoky 1200c sealant

Kharikola

Featured Posts

I am using high temperature sealant 1200c on my stove but it gives off a bluish smoke. I followed instructions and let it cure for 24 hrs. The smoke is coming from the top plate join to the stove pipe

I have heard that before and is why I used 300 degree Plumbaflue. I think the glass rope should make the seal. Any sealer on top is mainly for show it seem to me. A friend had it when he used a high temperature product at the roof flange end and it gave of liquid when heated the first time.

I've seen the same with high temperature paint used on lighting equipment. First time its turned on it smokes and smells dreadful but it drops off after a couple of hours and is ok after that. It might be the same.

Yes most 1200C silicone sealants like the one below, will require you to ventilate (and evacuate!) the boat for a couple of hours once you first light the stove.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-1200-C-Fireproof-Silicone-Sealant-Envirograf-Stoves-Fireplaces-Woodburners-/400744442187

The 300C Plumba flue stuff is only really designed to seal the top of the flue, not the stove itself. People are obviously free to do as thy wish on their own stoves, but I certainly wouldn't use it on my stove.

I have heard that before and is why I used 300 degree Plumbaflue. I think the glass rope should make the seal.

How can glass rope possibly make a gas tight seal?

Edited by Claude

I use the Envirograph stuff and it smokes big time when first heated up, even after being left to cure for several days.

First time I did it, it frightened me to death, (well, not quite smile.png ), and me and the dog evacuated for a while, (the boat, not our bums smile.png ). Last time I did it, it was without a dog on board, the windows and doors were all open, I lit the firelighter, closed to stove door, and got the hell out of there for a while.

So it seems to be quite normal, but worrying if not forewarned.

BTW I have a couple of Stovax thermometers on my flue... one just above the stove/flue interface, and one near the ceiling. Over 250C they say that the stove is running too hot, and I dont think I have eve seen it go over 300C before winding it back down again - Plumba is thus just on the margins of its limits as long as you dont overheat the stove, but I dont think it's worth the risk. I use Plumba to seal the collar - I'm guessing if it gets to 300C up there, something will be going badly wrong at the bottom end :)

Edited by Richard10002