Help please nottinghamshire

fergyguy

Featured Posts

Are you a newbie to boating?

Hi this is our first posting on here and we are hoping it will prove to be the right way to go. My wife lorraine and I are considering retiring in the next three years and buying a wide beam with the intention of living on board and cruising...we are not looking to live in a marina and we intend seeing as much of the uk at a slow and steady pace whilst we can...in our minds we intend cruising to a destination mooring and spending as long as we need to explore to our hearts content then move on to our next venture. We went to Mercia marina last week and looked at several boats but we're drawn to the euro cruiser..we want two bedrooms and considering a 68 feet boat. Our question at this point is this..is there anyone one here local to us or not who have done or are doing exactly what we are considering doing..if so we would like to arrange to hook up with you maybe for a day to talk in depth about our plans and maybe you will be able to guide us so we can avoid the many pitfalls we guess are out there.any help would really be appreciated guys.

Well introduce your selves right here!!

And everyone will get to now you!!!

If you are intending to 'base the boat' in the Nottingham area then a widebeam is not ideal.

The furthest you can get from Nottingham (on the canals) is Burton-On-Trent going West and a bit past Loughborough going South.

You can go thru' Nottingham and onto the River Trent and then head North - it depends on what you want to do.

Long, Fat boats do not cruise thru' some of the canal bridges very easily - imagine the arch of a bridge (it is only at maximum height for a narrow part of its width, with the 'shoulders' tapering downwards) Fat boats can easily be damaged on the bridge-arch curvature.

I am not against fat-boats (mine is 14 feet wide) you just have to realise the limitations you are placing on yourself and your cruising capabilities - eg with your proposed dimensions you will be unable to 'do' much of the Yorkshire system.

Work out what you want, where you want to go and do research before committing a single penny.

If you are intending to 'base the boat' in the Nottingham area then a widebeam is not ideal.

The furthest you can get from Nottingham (on the canals) is Burton-On-Trent going West and a bit past Loughborough going South.

You can go thru' Nottingham and onto the River Trent and then head North - it depends on what you want to do.

Long, Fat boats do not cruise thru' some of the canal bridges very easily - imagine the arch of a bridge (it is only at maximum height for a narrow part of its width, with the 'shoulders' tapering downwards) Fat boats can easily be damaged on the bridge-arch curvature.

I am not against fat-boats (mine is 14 feet wide) you just have to realise the limitations you are placing on yourself and your cruising capabilities - eg with your proposed dimensions you will be unable to 'do' much of the Yorkshire system.

Work out what you want, where you want to go and do research before committing a single penny.

Hi thanks alan we are not saying we want to cruise nottinghamshire waters we are happy to cruise South or North we are aiming to do at least 5 years on the water and wanted to find someone local who has already done what we aim to do...the boat would be 68 x 12 we have tried narrow boating was great for a week on the Chesterfield canal but for a five year live we would prefer a wide beam.

68 ft is too long to cruise the Leeds Liverpool and the Calder and Hebble. You could get as far south as Foxton and as far north as York. Down to Boston and down the Humber and in to South Ferriby and up to Sheffield and Leeds. At a length of 57ft you can do the Ure up to Ripon, Huddersfield, Rochdale canal over to the Bridgewater and onto the Leeds Liverpool to Liverpool. The Rufford branch onto the river Ribble and Preston Dock but ther is a narrow bend on the Savic brook (10ft)to get onto the Lancaster. Then you can get liffted out at Liverpool by road to the south and start again.

thanks bagdad boatman thats worth keeping in mind....we really do want to have 68 x 12 and yes i do realise that this will mean missing out on many places....what I'm trying to find on here is someone who HAS a 68 x 12 or there about who like us does not want to live in a marina and who has been on the water many years so they can guide us better as to where we can cruise and in real time how long we should be aiming to do either south or north..we are happy to go so first if plenty to fill our days...i feel sure there will be a seasoned couple on here who will come to our aid..lol

thanks bagdad boatman thats worth keeping in mind....we really do want to have 68 x 12 and yes i do realise that this will mean missing out on many places....what I'm trying to find on here is someone who HAS a 68 x 12 or there about who like us does not want to live in a marina and who has been on the water many years so they can guide us better as to where we can cruise and in real time how long we should be aiming to do either south or north..we are happy to go so first if plenty to fill our days...i feel sure there will be a seasoned couple on here who will come to our aid..lol

I have a 57 x 12 widebeam with wheelhouse it is the biggest you can go realistically without causing cruising problems. From where you are you would have a very small cruising area. For the last 5 years I have cruised this boat widely around the area (it came from Mercia Marina) Your 68 x 12 would be little more than a floating home it is just too long. Sorry but all the other posters are correct and its no good thinking that other people will give you the information you want to hear.

Right I'm starting to get the picture (I think) so basically if we don't want a narrow boat ( love em but not for us) we would have to consider smaller length....is 60 feet still going to be an issue Peterboat? We really wanted to have 2 bedrooms for when friends come on boat to stay...

Hi thanks alan we are not saying we want to cruise nottinghamshire waters we are happy to cruise South or North we are aiming to do at least 5 years on the water and wanted to find someone local who has already done what we aim to do...the boat would be 68 x 12 we have tried narrow boating was great for a week on the Chesterfield canal but for a five year live we would prefer a wide beam.

Starting from around the Nottingham area, and without venturing into the North Sea, the furthest south you can get with that beam is up the Soar and then Leicester Cut to Market Harborough or via the Trent, Fossdyke and river Witham to Boston, then via Wisbech and the Nene to Northampton. There is also the Great Ouse from Kings Lynn towards Ely and Cambridge, but I don't know exactly how big the locks are on the Cam and the Middle Levels.

North from Nottingham via the Trent you've got the river Idle towards Bawtry, Keadby Cut and the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Canal to Rotherham, Aire and Calder to Leeds, the river Ouse beyond York and towards Ripon, the river Derwent to Stamford Bridge, or turning East at Trent End, via the Humber to either the river Ancholme up to Brigg and beyond, or the river Hull which is navigable well North of Beverley.

There is also the short distance West from Nottingham, along the Trent and Mersey to Burton-on-Trent.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Realistically based in Nottingham area you will need either a narrow boat to cruise far inland, or a competent sea boat with good personal sailing skills to do the north sea routes (Trent to Thames). Sadly good sea boats are usually a different shape from good canal boats. A wide canal boat will limit you to about Burton, Loughborough and say Torksey. Even the wide Trent and the Humber would be good weather cruises in a canal boat.

Hi tony. The routes your suggesting we could do is the North yes? Is that routes limited to say 57 feet or could we do it in a 68 x 12 sorry for constantly asking similar question but really trying to get my head around it. We had thought initially to buy 68x12 and spend first couple of years doing North areas where we can get with such a boat and aim that when she is ready for blacking to have her lifted blacked and then transported to the top of the southern areas if that makes sense. Do most people who buy wide beams just live in the marinas or are there folk who buy them to do what we aim to do live on them as their home but steadily moving around all the time.

We bought a 62x13.5ft ex trip boat and did all the north waterways we could then got lifted out at Liverpool and dropped in at Worcester to do all the southern waters. We had an Ikea framed mattress which we stood up against the wall when not in use for guests with a curtain round to form a guest bedroom. Separate dining table and chairs with sofa and easy chairs. Full sized bath and Bosh washing machine. With limited space temporary guest bedrooms work better. Lifting facilities for a boat weighing up to 40 tons decide where you get lifted. At 68ft you are limited to the eastern waterways in the north.

Edited by The Bagdad Boatman (waits)

Hi Bagdad boatman we went to Mercia marina and looked at a euro cruiser there which was 62 long with two bedrooms and it seemed to tick all the boxes it was 12 feet wide...only thing missing was a dishwasher lol but I told my wife we would have loads of time to do a few pots ( she did not seem that impressed lol) it sound like you have done what we want to do? How long was you on northern sections? Was you stopping in marinas each stop or mooring up close to the town/city you were visiting. It sounds like the 60 x 11 will do what we want to do..we do realise we miss a lot of inland canals due to the size but as long as we can cruise for approx 5 years then that's great. Did you winter in a marina or continue cruising etc.

The 60 foot length is the problem not 12 foot beam to truly do all the northern canals its 57 foot max. I have a good bed settee which sorts out the guest problem so you can do it at that length easily. Dont tie yourself to just some of the waterways pick the right length and do them all. Also I have a dishwasher autowasher and a rayburn royal in my boat fits with ease

Edited by peterboat

Hi tony. The routes your suggesting we could do is the North yes? Is that routes limited to say 57 feet or could we do it in a 68 x 12 sorry for constantly asking similar question but really trying to get my head around it. We had thought initially to buy 68x12 and spend first couple of years doing North areas where we can get with such a boat and aim that when she is ready for blacking to have her lifted blacked and then transported to the top of the southern areas if that makes sense. Do most people who buy wide beams just live in the marinas or are there folk who buy them to do what we aim to do live on them as their home but steadily moving around all the time.

Yes, you'll get to Leeds and York with 68'. It's too long for the Leeds and Liverpool, the Derwent or the Ouse above York, but Ok [just] for the Ancholme to Brigg and the Hull to above Beverley.

Northampton, Market Harborough and Burton-on-Trent are also Ok with 68'.

I can't really help re. how much use widebeam owners get from their boats, I would say it's going to depend very much on individual preferences, irrespective of the width of your boat.

• Greenie 1

Thanks tony that's a big help thankyou.

Hi peterboat so are you saying if we were to have a 57 x 12 then we can do ALL northern waters are would we still have issues...do all locks bridges allow for the 12 feet width? If so then maybe we will have a look at a 57 foot boat to see how it feels inside as then at least we will know if it's a case of sacrifice the space and see more towns etc or see less but have more space...decisions decisions lol

57 x 12 allows you to do all the wide waterways in the North plus it is an easier boat to handle. Its a shame you didnt start this conversation last year as we were in Nottingham for a few days.

If you come up our direction you are welcome to have look at my boat and that will give you ideas as well. Sometimes what boatbuilders build isnt what boat livers need

Hi peterboat we have every Wednesday off (joy of owning your own business one day off a week lol) every second Wednesday we have our grandkids so each month we have two Wednesday's free maybe if your moored not too far away we can come and see you and pick your brains as to what's possible and what's not. Really appreciate any help you guys can give. Kind regards martin

14ft 6inch is the width of most wide canals apart from the Chesterfiel which is only 10ft. We cruised the northern canals for 7 years, never pass a Pub without having a pint, never pass a village without wandering round. Then we went south spent a year on the Avon and Gloucester and Sharpness then 2 years on the K&A 1 year on the Themes and then up the Lee and Stort booked a winter mooring in Islington to do the markets and theatres. Finally up the Grand Union where we sold the boat and retired to Devon. I fitted the boat out while we were cruising altering things from time to time.

now thats raised another question..bagdad boatman....if the canals are 14.6 and my boats 12feet wide how do boats pass going other way lol...i know there must be a very simple answer? your boat was 13.5 wide so you managed lol....so you did 7 years up north in that size boat we were worrying that our intended 5 years between both north and south would be a struggle to find enough to do....when you cruised did you moor in marinas or tie up on the bank (assuming there was enough space for others to pass.

So our plan to cruise for a total of 5 years Inc north and south even with a 60 foot is possible with a little planning? I assume when you say most canals are just over 14 feet your referring to the narrower bits like locks and bridges?

Waterways are nominally the width of the hard narrow bits! so a 7ft canal has 7ft between the lock sides but the general bank sides may be 10m to 20+metres apart. SO there will be minimal loss of water with room to moor and pass and maybe two boats to pass while by moored boats.

If you know your boat is 6ft10" wide and the lock is 7ft -that counts as narrow til you get used to it!

IMO Nottingham (I've moored there) is the wrong place to have a wide boat for CCing.

You are stopped at about Burton and Loughborough and even the Trent to Torksey is a bit of big wide water with currents shallows and tides to cope with in a boat that may not be seaworthy.

Yes I can see the point of space for visitors but for me I'd have a wide boat in either the northern or the southern wide waterways which would offer you a more interesting cruising pattern. OR I'd keep a narrow boat in the system somewhere and cruise the whole system.

Ex hire boats will give you a design for up to 12 berths, but all boat fitters could produce a luxury fit out for one bedroom in 70ft with all the expensive fittings that turn camping into life as we know it on land ( Washer, dryer, dish washer, built in generator etc. etc)

I'm starting to make sense of it all now I think my next step is to get a large map of the UK waterways and look at the wide options both north and south then with the guidance of you guys on here I will son learn where I can and can not take a 60 x 12 boat....I'm glad I have allowed 3 years to plan all this lol