macc

Featured Posts

hi all joined forum couple of days ago i just got news today that my offer has been accepted on a 70ft stokeboats NB

any of you now who to best contact for a boat survey in the long port area thanks in advance.

hi all joined forum couple of days ago i just got news today that my offer has been accepted on a 70ft stokeboats NB

any of you now who to best contact for a boat survey in the long port area thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum :lol:

I look forward to seeing you around and your posts..

hi bottle the boat is being bought subject to survey ive also got the seller to agree that if the boat requirs replating then they will foot the bill.

Edited by macc

• 2 weeks later...

hi all i am know the proud owner of a boat called Shropshire lass,can anyone give me advise as to what is normally blackend on narrowboats ie hull sides and bottom plate or just the sides.

thanks all

Congratulations...:)

I have just bought a 70 ft boat..and am loving it!.

makes the locks a whole lot more exciting!!...especially here on the Kennet and Avon with the very leaky gates and fast flowing river... :)

hi all i am know the proud owner of a boat called Shropshire lass,can anyone give me advise as to what is normally blackend on narrowboats ie hull sides and bottom plate or just the sides.

thanks all

Hi Macc. Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum.

Rust forms where air and water meet - i.e. the waterline. As the bottom plate should never be in the air it is probably not necessary to black it. Sides should be done regularly. I lift my boat out and do the sides thoroughly every second year- with towpath side top ups every so often. Only do the base plate every second or third lift out.

Does anyone feel that programme is too much/insufficient?

Graham

Hi Macc

Congratulations. I've seen that boat around, she looks good.

As you may have read, our boat "Keeping Up" was also built by Stoke. They always used good quality steel.

Ours is 16 years old now; we've blacked the sides every 2 years, but we've never blacked the bottom plate. She was out of the water last week for blacking, the boatyard said all the steel is absolutely as good as new.

Allan

Congratulations...:)

I have just bought a 70 ft boat..and am loving it!.

makes the locks a whole lot more exciting!!...especially here on the Kennet and Avon with the very leaky gates and fast flowing river... :)

I understand from Olive that getting her into Ham basin is fun too.

Ken

I understand from Olive that getting her into Ham basin is fun too.

Ken

Lol...yes you could put it like that !!...

lots of noise and thrashing about..

managed it better last weekend though..but that was coming downstream :)

thanks to every one for a very warm welcome my wife and i have been boating on the river great ouse since 1993 at the moment i also own a 25ft fen cruiser which i love dearly.

my wife is a paraplegic so i think Shropshire lass is a good investment to allow my wife to get more involved in boating again.

jim macc