Roof protection

roggie

Featured Posts

Has anyone any recommendations of what to use under various plant pots etc. on nb roofs? Having just had the boat painted and still wanting to have some plantlife on top thought I would have some 'protection'

We use something like this, cut to size. Allows draining and is non-slip. You can get similar in chandlers and caravan shops.

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=non+slip+mat&rlz=1C9BKJA_enGB590GB590&oq=non+slip&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l3.7836j0j7&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=FMX5BxMCuOtHKM%3A

Ken

We've been using this stuff for eleven years under our numerous flower pots.

It works really well.

We find the cheap stuff in Wilko is absolutely fine.

Rog

Has anyone any recommendations of what to use under various plant pots etc. on nb roofs? Having just had the boat painted and still wanting to have some plantlife on top thought I would have some 'protection'

I'd say there are a few precautions to consider, when using anything that is meant to protect the paint. Anything that remains in the same place can trap moisture. This is something you don't want, especially with fresh paint. The other cause of paint problems associated with protective surfaces is the tendency for the harder plastic locking types with studs that tend to bite into the paint, breaking the surface, leading to rust. This is more a problem when the harder types are used on the decks, where the weight of people standing on the surface will cause the studs to embed in the paint, biting.

It is probably not a good idea to use large expanses of unventilated rubber surfaces for prolonged periods, without at least moving them around periodically. Paint is waterproof, to a degree. It doesn't like long periods of trapped water.