Trojan battery Hydrolink system hand pump

swift1894

Featured Posts

Just realized that the Hydrolink watering system needs a hand pump with a special connector to pressurize the system when watering. Wish Trojan had told me that when I ordered the kit!

Anyone made their own ( it's just a oval rubber ball like for syphoning) but the attachment looks unusual,

Edited by swift1894

What's the ID of the tubing and is it normal PVC? Hand priming pumps can be had off Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Hand-Primer-Bulb-6-8-10-12mm-Non-Return-Valve-Fuel-One-Way-Pump-/321908995735

Longer term if the batts get quite thirsty a small electrical pump may be handy. :)

Edited by smileypete

What's the ID of the tubing and is it normal PVC? Hand priming pumps can be had off Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Hand-Primer-Bulb-6-8-10-12mm-Non-Return-Valve-Fuel-One-Way-Pump-/321908995735

Longer term if the batts get quite thirsty a small electrical pump may be handy. :)

Thanks. Yes just ordinary transparent tube. ID is 18mm. I'm sure I can rig up some piping to reduce from 18mm to the 12mm spout on the hand pump which is £4.95 on eBay. Slight improvement on £38 from USA!!!!!

!!!!

Edited by swift1894

Thanks. Yes just ordinary transparent tube. ID is 18mm. I'm sure I can rig up some piping to reduce from 18mm to the 12mm spout on the hand pump which is £4.95 on eBay. Slight improvement on £38 from USA!!!!!

!!!!

How about a header tank made from a 5lt Deionised water bottle.

How about a header tank made from a 5lt Deionised water bottle.

No it has to be delivered under pressure.

My traction batteries came with an auto watering kit but no bottle, but was told to get a 5 litre pump up garden sprayer about £7-£8 from wilko.

Neil

Does it work and are they Trojans?

Sounds rather wide!!! How wide is the tube between the top up caps?

Sounds rather wide!!! How wide is the tube between the top up caps?

Sorry I meant I'm going to get some 18mm

The tubing between the top up caps is only 10mm and it's the black, ribbed plastic type.

It's the end fitting that it's attached to, that's 18mm. I'm just going to get a short length of 18mm and push fit it on and reduce down to the smaller diameter of the hand pump.

Edited by swift1894

I have Rolls batteries with a self watering kit. The distributor told me the manufacturer stated a pressurized system was required, but he told me a header tank would work. I made one from a 2 litre de-ionized water container and it's mounted about 350mm above the level of the battery caps. Been working satisfactorily for three years now.

• Greenie 1

I have Rolls batteries with a self watering kit. The distributor told me the manufacturer stated a pressurized system was required, but he told me a header tank would work. I made one from a 2 litre de-ionized water container and it's mounted about 350mm above the level of the battery caps. Been working satisfactorily for three years now.

That was the sort of thing I was thinking of.

Sounds like a good idea and would automatically top up when required if sufficient head is achieved. I'll give it a try.

Thanks

Edited by swift1894

Phew! Just tried blowing down the tubing (it's not fitted yet).

Couldn't budge the spring loaded valve at the feed end, so don't think the header tank idea will work.

I'll give it a try though.

same as mine with the tractions works fine and so much easier than fannying around with a pressure system