Chester to Garstang (Lancaster Canal)

Woodies

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I'm totally new to canal boating and I'm currently renovating a Dawncraft 22. It goes in the water on the 16th April and that's where we'll be starting the relocation to Garstang.

I'm going to book onto the Ribble link in the next couple of days.

Any advice out there? Must see? Things to avoid?

Thanks

I hope you know what you are doing taking a boat over the Ribble. Engine powerful enough and in good condition. research done on navigation of the river. All safety considerations and everything on the boat tried and tested. The Ribble isn't the place to find out any deficiencies in your boat.

Must visit: Kenlis arms, bridge 54, last pub before Garstang cheers.gif

The Hand and Dagger (Clifton Arms) used to sell draught milk!

The local farmers were outraged at the price he charged compared to what they got from the (then) MMB!

George ex nb Alton retired

I hope you know what you are doing taking a boat over the Ribble. Engine powerful enough and in good condition. research done on navigation of the river. All safety considerations and everything on the boat tried and tested. The Ribble isn't the place to find out any deficiencies in your boat.

Indeed. When you get to the Asland light on a high tide the distance to land makes you feel you are at sea!

George ex nb Alton retired

Garstang is the boats home mooring so I'll be sampling the ale in the local public houses for sure.

I've looked over a couple of the threads about the Ribble Link. The boat has a 15hp Honda so I'm confident about the power. The boat is going through a renovation at the moment so everything is being checked and double checked. I've got four days travelling from Chester to Tarleton to make sure all is good.

I've started studying the navigation guidance notes.

Thanks for the advice :)

• 2 weeks later...