How Much Battery Power

Maverick

Featured Posts

Just to update on this thread. I have connected the fridge to gas and am just waiting for my flue to be delivered before I can use it.

Strange thing is I went out again at the weekend with the fridge on 240v from the inverter, with the intention of switching it off when I stopped and hoping the bacon would keep til the morning. However after our lunch break we forgot to turn it on again so upon stopping in the evening I switched on the inverter (no engine running) and thought I'd monitor the volt meter and give it an hour.

After 4 hours the volt meter still read 12v and the freezer blocks were frozen so I switched it off and it lasted all night.

I therfore deduce (Sherlock here!) that it freezes better on 240v and then uses less power than on 12v therby surprisingly making the 240v option far better on the batteries.

Sorry, time for me to throw my own particular hobby horse into the mix. Battery power is a plus-minus sum. If your fridge takes on average say 2A thats 48Ah over a 24 hour day. If you cruise for 4 hours thats 12A (not allowing for losses) that the charging system has to generate for the whole 4 hours just to keep up with that load alone. Now that isn't much for a modern alternator, providing it is spinning fast enough throughout the whole time.

You need to identify whether your problem lies on the plus or minus side of the sum, ie, is your discharge excessive or your charge insufficient, then we can look at how to resolve the situation.

Don't like to go back to this without more figures to back it up, but. Diesel duck, he's gotta electric fridge and his batteries were always flat. He needed 2000rpm (speeding!) to get reasonable alternator output. I modified his alternator so it is no longer 65A but about 45, counter intuitive I know, but the point is he now gets 30A at idle, and his batteries do not now run flat. I am not suggesting the same for you, but do you have a voltmeter? What charge voltage do you get at what speeds? Let's look at both sides of the sum.

Don't want to hijack the thread but a quick question Snibble? Is there any truth in the rumour that larger alternators can actually be less efficient at lower revs than a smaller one?

Don't want to hijack the thread but a quick question Snibble? Is there any truth in the rumour that larger alternators can actually be less efficient at lower revs than a smaller one?

Yes. He'll agree with me :)

Not actually less efficient. They just generally require more RPM before they start to produce reasonable power.

Gibbo

Perhaps I've misunderstood? A gas fridge exhaust vented into the cabin? Surely not?

Why not? Your cooker is vented into the cabin, and I would suggest that a cooker with four burners, grill and oven on will produce a good deal more in the way of exhaust gasses than a single flame in a small fridge. It all depends on having adequate ventilation surely.

Tony :)

edited: shpelling mistook

Edited by tony collins

Yes.

They were once quite common.

They are still common in caravans.

Hi Guys,

I have read this thread with interest, as I also thought that gas fridges were now not allowed, but really fancied installing one. Can someone please tell me that you can still buy these new, and if so from where?

The gas powered variety certainly seem to be much more efficient, and for me eminently more preferable.

Cheers,

Nige

Edited by Nige

Regarding the flue venting into the cabin. I dont think this is allowed for the BSS and I lit my fridge without the flue and nipped round to B&Q for an hour thinking it would be ok for that long.

On my return the boat stunk of the fumes. The cooker is usually on for an hour or so anyway whereas the fridge would be on all night whilst you are asleep with doors closed.

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!

Regarding the flue venting into the cabin. I dont think this is allowed for the BSS and I lit my fridge without the flue and nipped round to B&Q for an hour thinking it would be ok for that long.

On my return the boat stunk of the fumes. The cooker is usually on for an hour or so anyway whereas the fridge would be on all night whilst you are asleep with doors closed.

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!

If it smelled badly, the flame isn't burning cleanly & the burner needs servicing/cleaning.

Tim