How Britain's barge-dwellers are fighting a battle to stay on the water

Delta9

Featured Posts

I've got one of those. Perfect shape for a door stop.

Could convert it to a guitar pedal.

Ahhh

Now, I have one of those in the loft. 6809 processor

Bet the cassette tapes don't work any more

Richard

I used the cassette tapes to record "now that's what I call music 83"

Actually, I've just remembered, it took me a week to write the programme that made a matchstick man walk 7 inches across the screen. laugh.png

Edited by jenlyn

Be all of the above as it may it's quite clear by now that you can do a fair few miles, have a home mooring, and still fall foul of ever changing (hence 'mysterious') rules. And those rules are applied differently in different parts of the country by people not always fully conversant with them, or happy to rule their own roost in their own way. The airing of personal politics doesn't change that. Nor does vilifying people as tossers.

The Cut's a fractious place these days.

Oh hang on - no it isn't. The virtual cut is a fractious place.

The problem is that the rules have not changed - for a very long time. As a result they do not adequately cover the many situations that arise now but which were largely unheard of when the rules were established.

The road from St. Austel to Mevagissey is mainly a normal single carriageway, it is indeed narrow in places but not narrow enough to require passing places though care is needed passing traffic coming the other way in parts.

The lay by was an ordinary pull off lay by. They wouldn't stop in a passing place anyway.

I'm actually very familiar with the road and that particular location not far from London Apprentice, I have driven along it many many times and will be again in a few weeks. We are regular visitors to that area and have been for many years. Looe is actually East of St. Austell and Mevagissey is to the South.

I think perhaps you are confusing it with somewhere else. My guess is you are mixing Mevagissey up with Polperro.

That road counts as a major highway to those of us living down here!

Edited by Mike Todd

Overnight parking in lay-bys is only prohibited if there is a sign prohibiting it. If there is not, then there are no laws regarding the times that vehicles may park in lay-bys, what type of vehicles may park in lay-bys or whether the occupants of vehicles may sleep while parked in lay-bys.

There is a layby opposite one of the churches near me on a busy road. It is sometimes used as an overnight compulsory stop by trucks just on the evening that we have something happening at that church. Causes no end of difficulties.

Can see some parallels emerging . . . :)