Honorary Research Fellow National Waterways Museum

Ray T

Featured Posts

On 10/02/2016 at 21:49, matty40s said:

"I've heard a lot about Tom Pudding, so which carrying company did he work for and did he write many books??"

There is a video on him at the port!

I also saw him in a book too was covered in cream and custard.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year, forum members. Thank you for the prompt to say hello - and in haste as I am preparing a research paper to share with international researchers in Bath next week. The world of academic publishing is frustratingly slow, but as publications become available I will share links to open access (i.e. free) versions here. As I think was mentioned in the original press release about this role, part of my remit has been to bring waterways research to the attention of researchers working in other fields. I have given papers at a number of Victorian Studies conferences which focus on nineteenth-century attitudes to canals. These (often middle-class) views are expressed - as you all know - in various forms, from literature to newspapers and letters, and are retrieved from archives dispersed around the country but including the Wellcome Collection and local studies archives. It has been really interesting to put these nineteenth-century attitudes in dialogue with other discourses about labour and industry in the Victorian period. I was lucky enough to speak at the Railway & Canal Historical Society Waterways History Conference in Birmingham, thinking about the ways in which the times we live in (political, economic, cultural, environmental) affect the ways in which we think about waterways today. Huddersfield University recently hosted part of European Researchers Night, and visitors of all ages were encouraged to annotate maps with the canals they know and love, and then look at archival images and text representations of the people who lived and worked on those canals. For some younger visitors it was the first time they had even thought about what the canals they live right next to were for. This is just a really quick snippet of the sort of work I've been doing and, as I say, more to come. 

• Greenie 1

On 06/01/2018 at 19:24, pete harrison said:

So we are fast approaching 2 years since the announcement of Dr Jodie Matthews appointment as Honorary Research Fellow, but apart from this thread I have never heard another thing regarding this. Am I missing something ?

As it was me that re-awakened this thread I would like to thank Dr Matthews for the update :captain: