Bristol Floating Harbour

Plonk

Featured Posts

Hi All

I am planning a trip to Bristol (floating) harbour late May bank holiday weekend (river levels permitting). We plan to stay for one or two nights, as close to the Colsten Hall as we can (Concert). Does anyone know if we are likely to be able to find a place? or is it possible to book in advance? i think it is half term for Schools. I see that we will have to pay fees. We are 60ft long.

Thanks for any advice

Pat

Edited by Plonk

There is a very nice new visitor mooring area (with water and pump out but poor rubbish facility) almost opposite the SS Great Britain, at the point where the cross harbour ferry runs. From here it is an easy walk into the centre about 20 minutes to Coulston hall through the new apartments.

This whole area has been regenerated in the past couple of years so is quite nice.

There is a small supermarket in this area plus restaurants

You can also moor in the arm adjacent to the main centre - we avoid this as it can be noisy because it is night club zone! ( our nick name is the war zone!) Also can be a bit tricky mooring if windy.

You can download a map from the harbour site link above - they are very helpful, I would speak to the lady and check if anything special is happening in the area at that time .

You will have to pay the Harbour master or maybe at Hanham lock, as I believe that the toll collector at Neatham lock ( entrance from the river to the floating harbour) is no more!

Check with the port authority when the lock is open on the days you intend to pass through, allow 2 hours from Hanham lock going down stream.

You can more just up above the lock at Hanham with 2 reasonable eating places - we stay overnight .

There are few places to stop between Bath except close to some locks.

Check the weather as the river can rise quickly, I have been caught twice in the past few years

If the river is running high, moor at Bath (above the locks or in the large pound 4 locks down - big enough to turn) and take the train to Bristol - walk down the towpath until you see the station, there is a footbridge across the river.

At Bristol you can take the water ferry from the rear of the station to the centre or a taxi or walk - 30 mins?

Bristol has lots to see.

• Greenie 1

Many thanks both, I shall follow up your advice. Looking forward to it. One last thing, are there boards at Bath top lock advising of the river levels and navigation safety?

Thanks

Pat

Many thanks both, I shall follow up your advice. Looking forward to it. One last thing, are there boards at Bath top lock advising of the river levels and navigation safety?

Thanks

Pat

If its really bad then the gates might be chained shut, but otherwise its up to you to walk down the locks, have a look at the river, and make your own decision. If you join the facebook K&A group then you can ask on there and hopefully someone who is living on the river will tell you what its like. A phone call to the Hanham lock keeper would also get good advice. A couple of the locks can be quite tricky if the river is flowing. Also check the tide times, the last bit is tidal on spring tides.

...............Dave

and despite a post above, I think St Agustines reach (the "nightclub arm") is a great place to moor, especially if you can find a space on the pontoons. You can very carefully go under the right hand bridge span and reverse back if you need, as the inner side of the pontoons is more likely to be available.

You can not pay at Hanham (CaRT), you either pay at Netham lock (Bristol) or go down and see the harbourmaster. I advise paying at Netham but its usually closed so phone an hour in advance and somebody will turn up to meet you.

.............Dave

We went in 2013 and hope to return this summer.I would echo all adrianh has said, with a caveat.

Not fancying the night club arm, we moored opposite the SS Great Britain. It was extremely windy and the only Free pontoon was at the rear. This entailed somehow getting past already moored boats on the finger pontoons and also an ex working boat moored opposite the finger moorings.

Practically, reversing in was the only option. More through luck than any skill on my part, plus judicious use of the bow thruster, we made it without making any contact!

Having had the rise taken out of me by the owner of the boat accompanying us,for having a thruster, it was more than a little gratifying that he needed the assistance of two harbour master boats, acting in effect as his "Thrusters", in order to moor next to us!

Had the land line disconnected late one evening by Reveller's, but no damage done. Even placed the plug next to the post so no malice.

Fantastic city to visit by boat.

Night club arm as you call it (St Augustines Reach) is a great place to moor..have moored there every year for last 8 years and never had any trouble or sleepless nights because of noise..