Waiting for the crane!

Featured Posts

I was with you there right up until you said "pronounciation," I'm sure you meant "pronunciation," teacher.

I have tried my hardest since I arrived here to convince theses bloody Americans that they speak American and not English.

The response I got was "Well you invented it but we gave it and gave color". Arrogant B*****ds.

In saying that "............by far the majority of emigrees to the Americas were not well educated literate people.............." I suspect you are right. The same could be said now. I do not believe that the education of John Doe and his country men is of a very high standard. Guys here with degrees up the to the yin yang are often incapable of stringing two words together in any comprehensive manner whatsoever. Our Program Director (PD) writes like a five year old. Many of the 'rednecks' I work with have trouble with words containing more than 4 letters, hand writing skills are absolutely abysmal.

The PD tells me he likes to get emails from me because "it's nice to see English written properly".  I know that is not BS because I have seen some of the stuff he has to deal with from managers. Even making allowances for the differences between our two languages they are crap at writing.

Added to that they suffix everything with 'ist, 'ism, 'isation, to a point where no self respecting Englishman could admit to understanding a word the say. Such words are the bane of every educationalizationismist ever to speak a word of English.

Americans speak American, not English

Gordon Bennett - give it a rest Maffi ! :)

Who was Gordon Bennett? Guardian readers have lots of big ideas- but don't they always.

It certainly is received wisdom that red paints tend to fade more quickly than other colours. It's something to do with UV radiation breaking down the particular pigments faster. I've seen lots of faded red paint but none that turned pink. If you keep a shiny red boat under a tarpaulin in a covered dock and never go anywhere it will retain its good as new looks for years.

Who was Gordon Bennett? Guardian readers have lots of big ideas- but don't they always.

Who was James Gordon Bennett?

James Gordon Bennett (1841-1918) was born in the U.S.A. The son of an Irish-American mother and a Scottish-American father who owned the famous New York Herald Newspaper. It was the leading newspaper of the day. He spent a number of years in Paris managing the European edition of the paper. He was a flamboyant character who possessed a social charm and quickly saw the advantage of being involved in a number of stunts for publicity purposes. While in Paris, where the motor car was being developed at a greater pace than anywhere else, he had the idea to sponsor a trophy. He decided to mount a series of spectacular international sporting events. The most celebrated of these was an annual competition for automobile drivers which became known as the 'Gordon Bennett Cup Race'. The race ran for six years and was the forerunner of the present day Formula 1 Grand Prix series.

Where was the Gordon Bennett race held?

The year 1900 was the first year of the Gordon Bennett Cup Race and was held in France and won by a Frenchman, Charron, driving a Panhard car. The 1901 race was won by Frenchman, Girardot, driving a Panhard. The 1902 race was held again in France but this time it was won by an Englishman, Selwyn Francis Edge, driving a Napier. The 1903 race was due to be held in England however this presented a problem as English leglislation at that time prevented the closing of public roads for automobile racing. Ireland was chosen to hold the fourth of the six Gordon Bennett Cup Races. A course was selected over the three counties Carlow, Kildare and Laois (Queen's County). Four teams from England, Germany, France and the United States waged battle for Bennett's magnificent silver trophy over a challenging circuit over counties Carlow, Kildare and Laois. Over the years many stories have been written about the drivers and their escapades. The most notable among these was Englishman Charles Jarrott who was driving a Napier car that crashed as he was going down the hill at the Rock of Dunamaise heading for Stradbally in County Laois. The car hit a bank, somersaulted, throwing Jarrott out by trapping his mechanic, Bianchi, who was eventually freed. Both were brought into Fingleton's farm and covered with sheets, presumed dead, which was untrue and both made a good recovery. A spoke from Jarrott's Napier is still in existence and at the 2003 Centenary celebratations at Treacy's pub, the Heath, Laois ,it was measured up to the original Napier which was taking part in the Time Trials event on the Heath. The car is now owned by Lord Montague of Beaulieu. The winner of the 1903 Irish Gordon Bennett Cup Race was Camille Jenatzy, a Belgian who was a member of the German team, driving a Mercedes at an average speed of 49.2mph in a time of 6hrs 39 mins. Jenatzy was known as the 'Red Devil' and had already become famous in automobile circles as he had become the first man to exceed 100 kilometres per hour.

Here ends another history lesson

Did all this really start because I posted a picture of a red boat! Guess what I've got a blue one and a green one too!

Gary

Put the blue one on top of the green and we will not notice them from a distance as they will look like a green field with a blue sky over it. Shangrila :)

Edited by bottle

Gary: You have a green one and a blue one eh? ...... :)

Bottle: lay off the grass man......you've had too much I reckon.... :)

Chris: we're always off topic~~~~~ :)

I have often winced when watching boats being craned in or out (especially mine).....and wondered how long you would get for murder if the crane driver dropped your boat...

Edited by wynd lass(nb.Black Pearl)

You must be young wynd lass not to recognise Maffi's allusion to a popular song from the 1960's - Little Boxes - a protest against the sameness of suburban developments and life styles. Click Little Boxes for the words. And if you trawl around the web, I bet you'll find the music as well. Before you know it you'll be a bona fide folk singer singing with your finger in your ear.

Maffi, perhaps we should just cover our heads and retreat into our shells - these young things don't know they're born!

Edited by Paul Evans

er no......I didn't pop into this place we call Earth till 1965 Pauly :)

I don't mind folk music, I like Irish Folk (being of Irish descent) (and Italian, decent too) (got the worst of both, in my genes eh?) :)

Mind you, some folk music warrant both fingers in both ears dude!

Well it was only 1963 Lass and I would think you have probably heard it.

It, like most songs of that era were clear enough that you could actually hear the words.

"There's a green one and a pink one

And a blue one and a yellow one

And they're all made out of ticky-tacky

And they all look just the same."

Gary: No sleight on your boat building skills was intended.

Edited by maffi mushkila