Electrical charging question

Cheshire cat

Featured Posts

With ANY meter we would typically afford two figures is accurate, three figures is hopeful, four figures forget it. On the other hand buy a Fluke or other calibrated meter with calibration certificate (in date!) then four figure reading become meaningful but at four figure prices.

Biggest trouble with a handheld hall effect sensor is keeping it still enough in the right position to get an accurate reading.

I've seen this said before but it's not my experience with my cheap-n-cheerful Chinese UNI-T. I was only using it last week to check a battery on charge and it showed me a stable 4.1A wherever the cable was within the jaws.

Of course, how accurate the 4.1 figure was is a different matter, but accurate positioning appeared to have no effect.

Tony

I've seen this said before but it's not my experience with my cheap-n-cheerful Chinese UNI-T. I was only using it last week to check a battery on charge and it showed me a stable 4.1A wherever the cable was within the jaws.

Of course, how accurate the 4.1 figure was is a different matter, but accurate positioning appeared to have no effect.

Tony

Interesting, my experience with something more expensive has not been that. It could be what interference, magnetic, that is going on around. I know on the bench I can get accurate results when measuring a know, however in an engine room an error of over 10% and variable with it.

I've just bought a Uni-T 203 and it's way more accurate than I was expecting. It was within 0.5A compared to my BMV 600S, which was reading 4.5A. The 203 under-read at 4.0A. Good enough for boat use, for SURE. It also has a 'REL' button, which should be used in conjunction with the ammeter.

It also shows 'about 100A' when my other means are also showing 'about 100A'.

That's plenty of accuracy for current measuring purposes, IMHO.

I've been trying out my new Uni-T and find that the reading is pretty stable and agrees well enough with my shunt based ammeter even at low currents.

Nice piece of kit for the money.

Top Cat

Yeah, they're pretty robust too.

Well that's good news. I've had Uni-T for Christmas. Haven't had chance to use it on the boat yet though. It looks like my Japanese swing needle meter is heading for retirement.

I looked up the inverter spec. Its a sterling quasi sine jobby that draws 0.6 amps on standby.

I'm going to reccommend a smartguage and an ammeter and do what Arthur suggested and see if there are any loose or corroded contacts.

On top of that I'll try to educate the owners.

Thanks to everyone. Oh, and just for clarity. The boat concerned isn't Priscilla. biggrin.png Priscilla is ours but we have retained a share in the problem boat because she is berthed on a different part of the system. Priscilla is hooked up to landline and has no battery problems. The grate in the squirrel did fall apart in my hands this afternoon but that's another story.

Andy

Only three years? Is that casual use or are you a live aboard?

They are designed to burn seasoned wood, burning solid fuel in them subjects them to higher temperatures. I have to replace my home one every 4/5 years I burn a mix of wood and anthracite

Edited by Graham.m