Calcium Silicate

Zoeb

Featured Posts

Hi,

I need to rebuild my hearth and surrounding area.

Does anyone know of a good and reasonable Calcium Silicate board supplier 25mm thick)

If anyone also has any pics/advice from previous experience - this would be greatly received before I begin my build.

thanks

Z

Hi,

I need to rebuild my hearth and surrounding area.

Does anyone know of a good and reasonable Calcium Silicate board supplier 25mm thick)

If anyone also has any pics/advice from previous experience - this would be greatly received before I begin my build.

thanks

Z

Hi Z,

if you on a budget, then you can mix the ready made fireclay you can buy at B&Q with Perlite (easy to get at a garden supply shop) and make your own high temperature insulation. I use it to make the fire chamber for rocket stoves and it holds well together at upto 1000c.

Also perhaps try Opies UK Ltd in Essex. They were the sole UK Stockist/Distributor of Super Isol or Skamolex Blue (to give it its original Scandinavian name) calcium silicate board back in 2010 when BS 8511 was first issued.

I got mine from them long before the likes of Midland Chandlers etc had even heard of it! Opies certainly used to stock the 1000 x 600 x 25mm size. Their present day website (here) doesn't give prices unfortunately so it might be better to ring them on 01245 468977.

They also stock 25mm thick vermiculite board which is better for making the non combustible hearth base out of (underneath tiles), assuming your stove meets the BS 13240 standard test. The calcium silicate is not so crush resistant compared with the vermiculite board bearing in mind the hearth has the full weight of the stove on it.

Richard