Veneer Cracked

pearley

Featured Posts

We have a short (100 mm) split on our oak faced ply. Don't know why, possibly a manufacturing fault although now 9 years old, as it is a long way from stove or sinks. I guess its too thin to rub down and re-varnish so is there any way of repairing it and/or stopping it getting worse?

Superglue is a definite no no.

Firstly it is not a long term repair it will eventually fail - problem with isocyanate is that it is very brittle and wont move with the expansion and contraction of the wood - eventually it parts company with base wood and veneer.

Repairing a superglue bodge is almost impossible.

yes, hang up a picture - or otherwise disguise it.

biggrin.png

Again, I would be game for seeing a photo. What is the wood finished with, a grade of varnish of some form?

I doubt it has or will effect the structural integrity, and which point; are you trying to stop it looking worse or make it look better?

Daniel

http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/pearley1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151217_090904.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I guess we want to ensure it doesn't get any worse. We can hide it by filling it with wax.

That looks to me as though the oak veneer surface is drying out (as it ages) and shrinking back. It's of no structural significance as the oak layer is probably less than a millimetre thick, and decorative only.

I don't think there is anything you can do to stop it happening. It will eventually stop by itself. On the other hand it is quite likely other similar cracks will appear in the fullness of time. It's best ignored. Life is too short to worry about such things!

And yes filling it/them with wax is the ideal solution.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

just a thought are you using by any chance a dehumidifier

No.

Jeannette has filled it with wax and it's not noticeable now hope we don't get too many others.

The surface was originally spray lacquered with some sort of two pack.

Edited by pearley

Sounds a bit messy! Probably stick with the wax.

No need to get plastered in Paris though. Clean off the wax first. Just a small thin mix of plaster, wipe it into the cracks and wipe off excess with a damp cloth or sponge, leave to dry, then re varnish or wax, invisible mend.That's how we dealt with varnished decks on sailing dinghies.