Dual fuel generators

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Our gas installation is very similar to yours, ie two 13kg gas bottles in the rear semi-trad area. Our gas locker forms the port side sear arrangement. Both our gas bottles are plumbed into a double bottle change-over regulator valve. The copper pipework then runs forward from the gas locker to the cooker in the galley. The copper pipe was tee'd into, in the gas locker, to provide an additional length of about 12 inches of copper pipe to a manual gas shut off valve, and then to the 'BBQ' socket fitting. All this is within the confines of the gas locker so, in the event of any leak, any gas would drain overboard. My genny has a legth of flexible gas hose with the other half of the 'BBQ' fitting. The genny is placed on the towpath and the gas pipe is plugged into the 'BBQ' socket similar in action to fitting a bayonet light bulb. Once the connection is made, the gas can flow. In theory the BBQ fitting doesn't need a seperate gas tap as gas shouldn't flow if the connection is not made. I had the gas tap fitted as a belt and braces approach and to sati

Thanks. Without wanting to sound stupid, how does the genny bbq fitting on the genny pipe reach the other half of the fitting, if it's inside the gas locker. Do you have a big hole in the side of your gas locker?

Thanks. Without wanting to sound stupid, how does the genny bbq fitting on the genny pipe reach the other half of the fitting, if it's inside the gas locker. Do you have a big hole in the side of your gas locker?

No, I lift the gas locker lid and run the genny's gas hose in from the top to make the connection. As gas is heavier than air, any leakage would sink to the bottom of the gas locker and be vented overboard through the drain hole.

It's not an ideal solution and I am currently assessing another way to connect the gas hose, leaving the locker lid in situ.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

There is a certain Hudson with a well deck BBQ fitting on the side of one of the lockers, just for the purpose of running a generator. I think I'd be slightly nervous of the BSS implications since although the well deck is self draining, the cabin front door is only raised a couple of inches and of course the doors even if closed, are not gas tight. I guess he'll find out in about 2 years!

Edited by nicknorman

There is a certain Hudson with a well deck BBQ fitting on the side of one of the lockers, just for the purpose of running a generator. I think I'd be slightly nervous of the BSS implications since although the well deck is self draining, the cabin front door is only raised a couple of inches and of course the doors even if closed, are not gas tight. I guess he'll find out in about 2 years!

Think I agree, although Gas Safe wise, those fittings are classified as gas tight. I think it could depend on whether the certain Hudson is a live aboard .

Didn't Steve supply his boat with a BSC as well as the RCD

Didn't Steve supply his boat with a BSC as well as the RCD

No. You could have one if you wanted (paid for it!) - most didn't as far as I know.

Think I agree, although Gas Safe wise, those fittings are classified as gas tight. I think it could depend on whether the certain Hudson is a live aboard .

It isn't. But of course such things can change.

Just to add, the BBQ connection option doesn't require a low pressure (LP) regulator since it connects to a feed from the already regulated gas distribution system.

The alternative as I have below is the generator LPG conversion with the large Garretson demand regulator fitted to the side of same that all require, then a length of feed hose to a combined LP regulator and thumb screw connection to (in my case) one of the two 13 Kg bottles. This was by choice since I don't use the genny that often being a cruiser.

www.sailandtrail.co.uk-PSLGKIG2600LPGOB-

I can see no safety infringments fitting a BBQ bayonet socket to the gas locker rear/well deck bulkhead providing the feed to same has a shut off valve within gas locker and the well deck is open, i.e. no cratch cover.

Hi all,

just a few thoughts for those considering running a generator on LPG.

There is nothing wrong with this, but, using a dual fuel petrol/LPG set-up is not as efficient as running with one or the other, exclusively.

Each fuel has it's own merits/requirements. In particular, LPG runs more efficiently on a compression ratio (CR) of around 14:1.

So, if you are running dual fuel petrol/LPG the CR will be about 9:1, thus favouring petrol.

Unless you can purchase a generator, purpose built for LPG, or, can modify an existing petrol engine, then you are not using the LPG, as efficiently as you might.

Should anyone choose to go with an LPG only set-up, installing two 47kg cylinders is, economically, the way to go.

If you can squeeze then in(!), the filling cost of 47kg cylinders is a smaller proportion of the overall gas cost, when compared with smaller cylinders.

I hope this helps.

Regards Tim