what could be wrong ith this boat??

nursegrowl

Featured Posts

I saw this boat last itme I was down at Harral's, seemed ok, but scruffy.

Any idea what could be wrong with it, as it seems cheap (I think)???

Is it likly that it is just a bargin, with a litle TLC and some jobs of not too largeness needing doing, or it likly to sink???

www.harralbrokerage.co.uk boats 20000 to 40000, and its called 'Durham', a 62ft NB.

Thanks, just curious......

I saw this boat last itme I was down at Harral's, seemed ok, but scruffy.

Any idea what could be wrong with it, as it seems cheap (I think)???

Is it likly that it is just a bargin, with a litle TLC and some jobs of not too largeness needing doing, or it likly to sink???

www.harralbrokerage.co.uk boats 20000 to 40000, and its called 'Durham', a 62ft NB.

Thanks, just curious......

did you see the inside? Did you look closely at it? there could be hidden horrorsl or did you have a look around it too?

Words and pictures don't mean very much from a broker, you have to go and take pictures.

There will always be a gem hanging around that corner, I wouldn't buy a car that required 10 things to get it through an MOT, so same really goes for buying a boat.

Always get a second oppinion as well, maybe from a friend or boating person.

OH MY GOD!!!, yep, thats Durham...poor bloody boat. I am absolutly horrified, as we were told, idea lfisrt time boat, very little attention needed, other than re painting!!!

There has been other times when things have not been right with them, i.e. two other boats we have looked at, then gone back another time after thay have sold, we enquired about them, and were told that one needed 'bloody burning, pile of crap' and another needed 'replating, new engine and refit' both advertised as 'budget liveaboards' in good tidy condition.

I'm scared to see any more now.......

OH MY GOD!!!, yep, thats Durham...poor bloody boat. I am absolutly horrified, as we were told, idea lfisrt time boat, very little attention needed, other than re painting!!!

There has been other times when things have not been right with them, i.e. two other boats we have looked at, then gone back another time after thay have sold, we enquired about them, and were told that one needed 'bloody burning, pile of crap' and another needed 'replating, new engine and refit' both advertised as 'budget liveaboards' in good tidy condition.

I bought Drifter through a brokerage, and even though my broker was superb I wouldn't go to one for my next boat (if there is a next boat, of course). I've found that if you get to know as many of the local boat people as you can and keep your finger on the pulse you will find the right thing, at a much better price than you'll see boats advertised for.

Keep your chin up, there's lots of fantastic boats out there for that sort of price. :cheers:

Chris

That's the one! Yes - I suggest everyone avoid poor old Nb Durham. Incidentally Harral are STILL advertising on their website and in the magazines as

61ft cruiser style narrowboat, 1985 with an extensive refit, just completed and now offered as an ideal liveaboard at a reasonable price. Aft bunkroom with twin bunks, shower room with vanity unit, shower and Porta Potti, large central living area with new solid fuel stove in hearth and open to galley, walk-in wardrobe/store room and forward double bedroom. Gas central heating; bsc to 03/08; survey from 11/05; BMC 1.5;

and their other info STILL says it's clean and tidy and would make an ideal liveaboard. Several of us on this forum have established that the "survey" they claim is available doesn't exsist.

:cheers:

I don't know what all the fuss is about with this boat, it is there for all to see and I can't see that there is any real deception. The boat is an absolute 'dog' but then any fool can see that and it is probably close to the point that it is beyond economic repair though that is for others to say, perhaps some guy may feel that if he over-plated the bottom and did a bit with the engine he could sell it as a sail-away.

The real danger and what is likely to happen is that it comes back onto the market with a new coat of paint, a cosmetic tidying up inside and all the problems still very much there.

I don't know what all the fuss is about with this boat, it is there for all to see and I can't see that there is any real deception. The boat is an absolute 'dog' but then any fool can see that and it is probably close to the point that it is beyond economic repair though that is for others to say, perhaps some guy may feel that if he over-plated the bottom and did a bit with the engine he could sell it as a sail-away.

The real danger and what is likely to happen is that it comes back onto the market with a new coat of paint, a cosmetic tidying up inside and all the problems still very much there.

Claiming a survey is available is a deception (We may know a 15 month survey is worthless anyway, but there are many out there who don't). An extensive refit just completed would appear to be somewhere between deception and an out and out lie.