back cabin stove flue pipes

crossley

Featured Posts

Hmm. I'm measuring up to make the flue pipe for my back cabin stove, is there any requirement in the bss for twin walled or insulated piping?

Boat is 10 years old, but the back cabin stove was never fitted, so its a new install, not replacing an existing flue like for like.

Cadged a 2 meter length of 4.5" O.D 316 stainless tube the other day, would like to use it if poss as it was free!

Perfectly fine BSS wise, common sense should tell you how close you can get before needing any heat shielding.

Depending on your cabin shape the crucial point is often where the flue exits the smoke box, this needs to be carefully considered and proximity to the steerer's step can also be a pinch point.

I have noticed of late photo's of boats with back cabins fitted with stoves with a built in oven that a good number are what in the carrying/working days would be termed back to front the oven being on the right side looking at the front of the stove this brings the fire part of the stove up against or close to the footboard/steerers step & was always considered more of a fire risk than the other handed stoves

Which has many exemptions for traditional back cabin installations.

Absolutely right! BS 8511 has a clear statement on the very first page in "Section 1. Scope".

I quote:-

"This code of practice does not apply to the installation of appliances with a firebox volume of less than 0.01m3 and a grate size smaller than 0.05m2 and where the dimensional recommendations of the installation cannot be met eg in traditional narrowboat boatman's back cabins)."

All the typical back cabin ranges meet the small firebox/grate criteria and therefore become exempt from BS 8511 in a back cabin. However the document goes on to suggest that you try to use their recommendations wherever you can in this situation.

Richard