Help! Looking for a good engineer / electrician near Runnymead.

YourSkipper

Featured Posts

Hi Guys,
my brother just bought a beautiful Dutch motor yacht (not technically a barge, as she was built as a pleasure yacht about 90 years ago)

He is currently moored near Runnymead and needing some help.
Originally I was going to be helping him with the delivery from Holland, and installing the 240v system, (I am a superyacht captain with a fair bit of practical knowledge, having also worked as an engineer.) Unfortunately due to various delays this didn't happen, and friends of mine were able to help him bring her across from Holland instead.

Anyway, he now needs to find someone to help finish the electrics aboard, and also a few other things to get her to pass the BSS inspection, such as possibly new fuel lines, and finishing the install of his Refleks diesel heater etc.

If you know of someone who is in this area who might be suitable to help with this work and who doesn't charge like a wounded bull!
If he needs to pay usual per hour rates from a shipyard then I am sure he can't afford it, but perhaps there is someone living on a boat near by, who would appreciate the work and be able to help out?

If you have any ideas please let me know, I would love to help him but unfortunately can't at the moment due to my other commitments.

He is incredibly busy and although very practical himself has to focus on his work at the moment.

Many thanks

Cameron

Persons that are employed for third party work must be a competent and qualify to under take such electrical installation also with suitable insurance.

Be pre-paired to pay the going rate

Keith

Are you sure about that?

So you would be happy for someone to undertake AC electrical work with any knowledge and insurance

Keith

You can have the knowledge without qualification or insurance.

Hello Cameron.

Welcome to the forum.

I would just like to repeat what has been said. If someone was wanting to help but wanted to keep it low profile they may like to chat with you privately. You would need to have posted 5 or more posts to open up the PM systems to you.

I can't help personally, hope you get a result. Sounds like you have a pleasurable job.

Martyn

Unfortunately I do not have a link that is my own opinion

My reasoning for this is as I look at many different age boats, they are becoming more complex with different AC inputs with very little protection. The standard of the actual installation is also poor.

I see many installations with totally incorrect AC protection

And I would not use any one who does not have the correct insurance

What would happen if the installation caused a fire

Keith

I'm reasonably knowledgable but not qualified. I'll do stuff for mates only, warning them that whilst my work is free, I cannot be responsible for it 6 months later. I do the best job I can and I over-engineer everything.

I agree that you may have to pay going rates unless you can find a knowledgeable 'mate'.

Be carefull loafer!!!! These are dangerous times we live in.

Doing electrical instalation work puts you in the frame if something nasty happens.For example i beleive that regulations are such that if you add an item into an existing circuit you are liable for the intgrity of the whole circuit because you have altered it. Not quite what we are talkng about but making the point its no good saying "ill do it but dont blame me if it goes wrong".

The way in which the OP asked

Money would change hands

Surely you need be happy that the person you are paying can do the electrical work competently and if any does go wrong they have insurance to back it up

Keith

Edited by Keith M

I would think there are many 'competent' people that can install an electrical system or a gas installation. Maybe even a multi fuel stove and flue etc.

Having said that, it would do no harm to get it checked over and inspected before use. Peace of mind and certification.

I'm competent at lots of stuff. I'll leave it there.

Doing electrical instalation work puts you in the frame if something nasty happens.For example i beleive that regulations are such that if you add an item into an existing circuit you are liable for the intgrity of the whole circuit because you have altered it. Not quite what we are talkng about but making the point its no good saying "ill do it but dont blame me if it goes wrong".

P'raps it's not as dodgy as you think, Klim. I've only helped out one boater mate to any serious degree, mostly with moving his battery bays with associated re-cabling and adding a battery charger. It's now all much bigger cable, isn't rocket science, definitely suitable for a BSC pass and I'd be happy if it was my own boat.

Still wouldn't do it for strangers though!

I would think there are many 'competent' people that can install an electrical system or a gas installation. Maybe even a multi fuel stove and flue etc.

Having said that, it would do no harm to get it checked over and inspected before use. Peace of mind and certification.

And who would you get to inspect and certify it, and what sort of certificate would you be looking for. This is like most things with boats and they are mainly unregulated as who can do what on them.

Are you thinking part P in houses.Something that I am not competent to due despite serving an apprenticeship and having City and Guilds in Electrical electrical Installation a b & c and Radio Trades.

Edited by ditchcrawler

There are two ISO's covering both AC and DC installation

All new boats should be built to these standards as they are of the RCD.

By using these standards I feel this is not an unregulated industry but installers and most boat yards chose to ignore them

British Marine run a very good course BMET

Part of the course is how to use the check lists.

Why can I not issue a certificate for a boat as I do for road going vehicles if there is a form of AC generation install it must be inspected and certified.

Keith

Hi guys,
thanks for all your comments :)
I'm really not approaching this without knowledge, although not an electrician, I have rewired a 95ft schooner (single phase) and a 90ft motor yacht (three phase) and a 50ft catamaran from scratch, all of which went on to pass MCA survey and are still working well many years later.
A boat is not the same as a house (although I did wire my house from scratch as well, which I had to get it signed off by a qualified electrician) in my opinion a boats wiring must be a lot better than a house, because you have to factor in the salt atmosphere, movement etc. etc.

Anyway I have found on-line a company called Bell Weir Boats which seem to offer the kind of works we are talking about and also state they are happy to offer advice and work alongside DIY'ers, so that seems promising.

Anyone had experience with them?
Thanks again.

PS: I wasn't aware of the 5 messages before pm rule, first time Ive come across that.

Well said :)