is my fridge 240v?

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

I think what you are looking at there is NOT a compressor based fridge, as the power it is claimed to use is something like 3 or 4 times what a proper compressor fridge would use.

It may be effectively more like one of the old 3-way Electrolux/Dometic type absorption fridges, but with only a 12 volt and a 240 volt option, but no LPG gas.

If you Google that model and look at other advets you will find things like......

This tells me it is not a fridge that can function properly on both 12 and 240 volts, and that it will guzzle large amounts of power on either.

Not what you are after, I think!

Thanks, i think a 240v is the best option for me.

Off topic, but just realized that i followed you down through newbold tunnel a couple of weeks ago, passed you as you moored up at rugby visitor moors, then passed you again at braunston locks, nice boats you have!

Some of the more expensive inverters have a power save option which puts then into an intermittent state where it briefly outputs 240v and if there is no load - say the fridge is cold enough, then it goes off again. Every so often looking for a load. In the 'off' state it claims a very low power consumption.

With one of these inverters and a 240v A+++ fridge you are probably not far off the efficiency of a 12v fridge and you will have a inverter - expensive :-( inverter.

I still have my chinese cheapo inverter, but one day......

Off topic, but just realized that i followed you down through newbold tunnel a couple of weeks ago, passed you as you moored up at rugby visitor moors, then passed you again at braunston locks, nice boats you have!

Thank you!

Now you have said that, and I think about the "Viking" name, I realise exactly which boat you must have been. We were by that stage finding trying to move two working boats with three people, (only one of them young and fit!), quite hard work, so I hope we didn't get in your way too much!

Some of the more expensive inverters have a power save option which puts then into an intermittent state where it briefly outputs 240v and if there is no load - say the fridge is cold enough, then it goes off again. Every so often looking for a load. In the 'off' state it claims a very low power consumption.

With one of these inverters and a 240v A+++ fridge you are probably not far off the efficiency of a 12v fridge and you will have a inverter - expensive :-( inverter.

I still have my chinese cheapo inverter, but one day......

I bet the difference is next to nowt.

and the difference between ON and power save is approximately 0.5 amp. (depending on inverter, make, model etc)

So assuming that it is in power save mode 50% of the time, that will save 12 amp.hrs. per 24 hrs.biggrin.png

and the difference between ON and power save is approximately 0.5 amp. (depending on inverter, make, model etc)

So assuming that it is in power save mode 50% of the time, that will save 12 amp.hrs. per 24 hrs.biggrin.png

And for some of those 12 hours the engine will be running so not using battery reserves.

Decided to purchase a new 240v fridge freezer.

So, if anyone is wanting a 12v fridge for free you can have it, based in Atherstone you just need to collect.

Will leave it for a week, then its going the tip.

All works, just tired and missing the glass shelf off the top of the top of the bottom plastic draw.