Haynes Manual!?!?

Kris

Featured Posts

Hey,

I'm just wanting to learn a bit more about how canal boats run and the workings of the mechanical bits. I'm pretty good with engines having grown up with motorbikes and I have always worked on my own cars. I know how an engine works (petrol + diesel) but when it comes to the engine dying on my canal boat for the first time (not that I have one yet, but I WILL!!) I'm sure I will get lost and not be able to find things I recognise. I'm by no means a mechanic! My knowledge goes as for as, 'if it doesn't start, take the spark plug out put a drop of petrol in the cylinder and maybe a quick cleanout of the carb'. And thats only on 2-stroke petrol engines.

Is there somekind of manual for them, like the Haynes manual for your car? Only less specific I imagine. Or even better, a website somewhere? I've tried google searches but they just throw up people selling engines.

Oh, not just the engine either, the whole drive-train. (If it's called that on a boat!).

There's 2 other of my friends who would be joining me on the water, one knows how to drive but it could be a hampster in a wheel powering it for all he knows or cares, and the other probably hasn't heard of diesel!! I am thier only hope in a mechanical breakdown situation!!

Thanks alot!

Kris

Ofcause, if you have a veichal dirived engine, you may well be able to get a haynes for that engine in question, minus a few "marinaisation" touches

Daniel

I presume you have to order the manual for emily anne's engine direct from haynes?

I presume you have to order the manual for emily anne's engine direct from haynes?

Haha, urrrm, yeah...

- Im not sure her particular model was ever used within a vehicle haynes covered unfortunatly!

On a simualar note, we have always said we should join rivercanalrescue can get them to do use a homestart! :cheers:

Daniel

Many years ago i used to w**k in a press shop in Norwich, the Plant Manager was an absolute tyrant name of J*** Haynes, wilst working night shifts he used to turn up at about early o'clock p***ed out of his tiny mind after driving to the factory, and stagger up to his office for what we swore was a Haynes Manual ..... ever since the term Haynes Manual has me creasing up....

Edited by tomsk

Many years ago i used to w**k in a press shop in Norwich ..............

Tomsk, I'm not quite sure exactly what you were doing in the press shop in Norwich. Perhaps you should be more specific to allay any suspicions. :cheers:

"Narrowboats: care and maintenance by Nick billingham" is pretty good. You can get it on Amazon, but it often comes up on ebay.

We received several of these as gifts when we bought 'Alnwick' - sadly the book looks nice on the shelf and makes a useful 'tray' for resting the computer on but offers little that we have found to be useful advice or information. In my very humble opinion, there is very little out there that can match the real information and advice that you get first hand from experienced boaters. That is one of the reasons why this forum works . . .

We received several of these as gifts when we bought 'Alnwick' - sadly the book looks nice on the shelf and makes a useful 'tray' for resting the computer on but offers little that we have found to be useful advice or information. In my very humble opinion, there is very little out there that can match the real information and advice that you get first hand from experienced boaters. That is one of the reasons why this forum works . . .

I agree to an extent (I still struggle to relate a 'how to do a lock diagram' to the real world) but electrics and engine trouble shooters can be handy to get you out of a fix.

Some time ago I suggested that everyone should write a user manual of their own, specific to the boat and it's location. I at one time would allow friends and family take my boat out for a week or so, I would give them a copy of the manual in advance and only half joking I would tell them I would be testing them on it.

At that time I sent many copies out to members of the Forum, most of it would obviously need re-writing or modifying but on the grounds it is easier to edit an existing document than start from scratch. The offer is still open, if anyone wants a copy just let me know.

The user manual is not the same thing as the technical manual which should be compiled and retained as well.

good morning I have been reading your thread about the Haynes manual and guides needed to trouble shoot. Excuse repitition to those who have heard my rant but I'm about to embark on an MSc project (renewable energy technology and sustainability..) and am set to do my project on how to get the most affective use out of heat power and appliances on board and from that write a manuel gathering experts advice and compiling, editing etc. I found a few manuals on the Inland Waterways association book shop as I'm looking at what info is already out there and don't want to reinvent the wheel!!

So don't dispair more and more people are coming around to needing this info, again these forums are fantastic for relaying this info.. I'll be putting out a simple survey soon to see what systems people have and what their issues are with them along with what type of manuel people want / need and what other info would be of use within the guide (service, sales parts tel nos etc), so do please spread the word that theres a wee lady out there who is endevouring to create a guide..!

Good luck with it all and if anyone wants to let me know about their solar or wind systems or any new power systems they are using please do feel free.. all the best Annie B

Some time ago I suggested that everyone should write a user manual of their own, specific to the boat and it's location. I at one time would allow friends and family take my boat out for a week or so, I would give them a copy of the manual in advance and only half joking I would tell them I would be testing them on it.

At that time I sent many copies out to members of the Forum, most of it would obviously need re-writing or modifying but on the grounds it is easier to edit an existing document than start from scratch. The offer is still open, if anyone wants a copy just let me know.

I think this is a splendid idea. I had been thinking on the same lines - if only to enable someone else to start or stop the engine in an emergency.