Disconnecting solar panel

Phil.

Featured Posts

I need to disconnect my solar panel from the batteries for a week. I was going to do this by way of the breaker switches either side of the controller. I know to break the panel side first then the battery side but I want to leave the panel fixed to the roof. My question is the panel will still be producing electricity but it will have nowhere to go. Will this cause any damage to the panel? Thanks.

I need to disconnect my solar panel from the batteries for a week. I was going to do this by way of the breaker switches either side of the controller. I know to break the panel side first then the battery side but I want to leave the panel fixed to the roof. My question is the panel will still be producing electricity but it will have nowhere to go. Will this cause any damage to the panel? Thanks.

You can always cover the panels up with a blanket or something to stop them producing anything, if you need to disconnect the regulator from the batteries.

If you think about it, the manufacturers wouldn't quote an open circuit panel voltage if it wasn't ok for the panels to be in sunshine whilst being open circuit (ie not connected). Of course in summer, when the batteries are full, the controller stops allowing any current through and thus the panels are routinely open circuited.