Heating - does anyone have experience of these warm air blowers

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

Wanting to get rid of my old Squirrel stove and wondered about these. I understand that the heater below is vented to outside so shouldn't be a problem with condensation.

Or do you know different.

Thanks in advance Tony

PROPEX HEATSOURCE HS2000 V1 GAS 12V HEATER KIT

We don't have a stove but do have a Propex system on our 57' boat. I can't recall which model, but it chucks hot air out via 3 vents. It's OK, and good enough to warm the boat up on a cold morning, and I haven't noticed any undue condensation. But it's a bit noisy and not exactly cosy, so for us it's not an alternative to a good stove - in fact we're having a stove fitted over this winter. We'll keep the Propex as a back up or just to provide a bit of heat in spring or autumn when you don't want to light a stove.

I can say I have removed a few at owners request in order to fit a diesel model, never the other way around. Even the install instructions state they must recirculate air instead of using fresh which is one of the main benefits of a blown system, i.e. fresh warm air and reduced condensation. I bought a boat sometime with one on and that caused me to never consider even looking at a dealership. Probably OK in a small well insulated space like a small camper van.

I've got a gas water heater and warm air blower combined. The blower is enough to take the chill off, but not much good on cold nights. e.g. up to mid September I would occasionally run the blower for a couple of hours to make things tolerable but, from then, it hasn't been enough, so the stove has been lit and left on overnight. Hasn't been cold enough to keep it burning all day yet.

I can say I have removed a few at owners request in order to fit a diesel model, never the other way around. >Snip

Oddly I have just done the opposite, removing an aged noisy erbesplutter replacing it with a much quieter Propex 2000. (incidentally the erbesplutter re-circulated the air as well) (25' GRP cruiser but full length enclosed not cockpit and pram cover)

It is only to extend the cruising season for me and not for liveaboard use

I have one on my 24ft-6" sailing cruiser., 1kw I think, but it was a long time ago that i fitted it, so really can't remember what power it has.

It's been fitted for about 15 years now and works when required, mind you, my sailing boat is quite small, but it makes it snug inside after a cold winter sail!

Nipper