Inflatable dinghy on canals?

labougie

Featured Posts

I've seen a few inflatables up and down the Paddington Arm, they don't appear to be tenders so presumably folk just bung em in and portals off.

I agree with Mike,

4hp is probably too big for canals, although good for Thames.

Dinghy Chaos :-)

post-4390-0-13765300-1444084594_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim Lewis

I used to have an inflatable, licensed (correct spelling 'cos it's a verb) as a tender with the EA. it was powered by an electric outboard, the battery was charged by a dedicated solar panel. When on the canals it generally was on the roof of the narrowboat because too much rubbish floating in the cut. On the Thames it was towed behind the NB. Very handy when moored for a few days at places like Abingdon and Lechlade to do a cassette run!

Dave

• 3 years later...

I am interested in buying an inflatable boat and attaching a 12v electric outboard motor to buzz up and down my local canals (in North Lincolnshire), perhaps stopping at a couple of pubs before returning to the car. Do I need a licence for this, as some posts suggest? Others suggest I do not. 

21 hours ago, Budgie Trousers said:

I am interested in buying an inflatable boat and attaching a 12v electric outboard motor to buzz up and down my local canals (in North Lincolnshire), perhaps stopping at a couple of pubs before returning to the car. Do I need a licence for this, as some posts suggest? Others suggest I do not. 

We use our dinghy quite a bit on the Fossdyke. If the canal is busy we will often just take the dinghy to the local pub or into Lincoln to do the shopping as we know we will always find somewhere to moor it.

Our main boat licence covers the dinghy and our insurance policy covers the tender as well.

Just now, Budgie Trousers said:

Thanks for the information.

How much does the insurance for a dinghy cost and what does it cover?

No idea. Ours is included with the main boat.

Can't imagine it will be much though as our main policy isn't exactly expensive.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for hijacking this thread slightly but I live in North London, own a Waveco 2.3m inflatable dinghy with an electric outboard, fully insured which I'd like to use on canals, non-tidal Thames, River Lea, etc as an aspiration.  I understand that to use it on the River Thames and/or other rivers/canals, I need to get a day-tripper license ticket or similar.  What is unclear is how and where I can easily launch and retrieve it.  I know there are references to slipways on the Thames at a few points, but I've not seen any information on how to launch an inflatable on a canal and/or what the procedure is to navigate locks on canals and rivers if you are in an inflatable.   All suggestions and/or tips on sites with more information would be appreciated.  Thanks.

On the Thames you need to purchase a day liecence  - which yuo can do when you pass through your first lock.

If you don't use a lock, then......

There's a list of slipways here righ of th end of all the other facilities -

http://www.the-river-thames.co.uk/facilities.htm   

It may not be very up to date. Don't expect any other facilities such as parking...

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/07/2019 at 16:25, OldGoat said:

On the Thames you need to purchase a day liecence  - which yuo can do when you pass through your first lock.

If you don't use a lock, then......

There's a list of slipways here righ of th end of all the other facilities -

http://www.the-river-thames.co.uk/facilities.htm   

It may not be very up to date. Don't expect any other facilities such as parking...

Thanks for the info and suggestion re: slipways.