Help Me Choose A Morse or Teleflex Type Control Please

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

ETA. After typing all that out I have remembered I have a 2nd hand Morse MV2 lever complete with knob you are welcome to.

attachicon.gifDSCF2433.JPG

Ray, discussions with Paul Barber yesterday seemed to suggest that he thinks there might be a certain amount of fettling could be done to make the control we have more positive but he suspects there may be some wear where it slots on the splines. I was about to click to buy one of those knobs off eBay you linked to but I wonder if I could take you up on the offer of the the lever? I will PM you

Hi everyone. I visited the boat yesterday and got a photo of what we have:

12043168_963466050343507_109378754619515

It appears to match the photo of the Morse MV-2 that Rat T mentioned in the other thread although I am being told that this is NOT a genuine Morse controller?

I will sort out a new knob for the one we have to get us home and worry about a replacing it later because we need the same type of controller and it appears that it might take a bit of research to find the right type (without throwing a serious amount of money at it) I am short of time to do the research right now.

It is possible that once Paul Barber has "fettled" it in the course of re-fitting the engine it will feel a lot better. It will get us "home" and that buys us some time to research a replacement.

Thanks for your help - if anyone does happen to spot a reasonably priced replacement then I am all ears!

I saw a Morse control with a pool ball modified to fit on it as the knob part.

Looked cool - also possible with a golf ball. Not sure what thread it would be but I expect a similar size metric tapped thread would probably work then once it is confirmed to fit well could be screwed down with some epoxy or something :)

Or if it is a metric thread perhaps a large diameter eyenut could be screwed onto it- that would give a positive grip. Lock it on with a nut underneath it. Depends if it is a standard thread though.

Thanks Magnetman.

The original ball was bright red and looked like a pool ball but without the number on. I wonder if it was not actually very original at all and someone had fitted a snooker ball at some point? It dropped off one day and was reported to have plopped into the engine bilge which is VERY deep and was then very wet and oily and filled with ballast. We were fairly sure we would find it when we stripped her but it never turned up.

Massive thank you to Ray T who donated his spare lever to the cause (along with the coat of postage)

It has now been fitted and Paul Barber has done some fettling and suggests it is unlikely we need to replace the Morse control.

Python now has a knew knob!

Thanks to everyone who helped

12144691_965471056809673_120290595840737