Morso Squirrel refurb

Featured Posts

Hi All

We are in the process of refurbishing our 50ft John White boat and are now looking at things other than rubbing down, priming, undercoating and painting!

We have a Morso Squirrel which is in need of refurbishment due to a damaged top plate and warped and cracked backed plate.

Can anyone advise if it is worth getting this repaired and, if so, any recommendations on who could do this? You can see pictures here https://goo.gl/photos/HVomqWfmsuPBYucT9.

The alternative would be to buy a Hamlett Hardy 5 or a Boatman.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Graeme

Hi All

We are in the process of refurbishing our 50ft John White boat and are now looking at things other than rubbing down, priming, undercoating and painting!

We have a Morso Squirrel which is in need of refurbishment due to a damaged top plate and warped and cracked backed plate.

Can anyone advise if it is worth getting this repaired and, if so, any recommendations on who could do this? You can see pictures here https://goo.gl/photos/HVomqWfmsuPBYucT9.

The alternative would be to buy a Hamlett Hardy 5 or a Boatman.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Graeme

That doesn't look worth fixing to me. You don't need someone to do it for you but it depends on being able to get the parts (Which I recall are quite pricey with it being a squirrel).

Scrap it and replace I would say, had ours ever gone this way I was intending to replace with a Boatman.

Many thanks, Martin.

If we were to get the parts, which I think would come in at about £190, how would we go about replacing the parts ourselves?

Also, what is it you like about the Boatman stove?

Graeme

I have a body going spare if you wish, no doors or internals but the back plate is solid and the top plate should be fine.

It's yours for the cost of the petrol to pick it up, I'm near coventry

tree monkey

That's a very kind offer indeed.

We're actually driving from Worthing to Scotland on the 17 October so may be able to pick up then, if this suits you?

That's a fair drive, yeah I can be around no problem, closer to the time give me a approximate time of arival and I will be there.

It's a little rusty but only got taken out of the boat a month ago, so surface rust only

Many thanks, Martin.

If we were to get the parts, which I think would come in at about £190, how would we go about replacing the parts ourselves?

Also, what is it you like about the Boatman stove?

Graeme

I've never tackled one myself but basically the thing comes apart, it's basically a metal box made up of three sides fastened together a top and a bottom and a two doors on the front.

The temperatures involved mean it can be a right PITA to take apart though. You will also likely need new fixings so plan/budget for them too.

The most important thing when re assembling is to ensure the joints are correctly sealed.

As to why I like the Boatman.

1 - cost

2 - Its welded steel construction

3 - Its simple.

4 - Its appearence

But it looks like your sorted due to TM's kind offer.

Edited by MJG

The Squirrel is easy to take apart, in theory. There are 2 bolts holding the top plate to lugs in each of the back and the front (2 each) and 4 more holding the bottom plate. The practical difficulty is getting hold of them because they corrode badly in the smoke etc. Grind the heads off with an angle grinder is the best bet. The heat generated also loosens the bolt shank. In a really bad case you will need to re-drill and tap.

When you reassemble you will need a lot of 7mm stove rope and glue. - all the way round at the top and bottom and all four side joints, plus the chimney collar and the blanking plate. Use A2 or A4 stainless cap heads (allen screws) and washers and coat them well with copper grease. Don't over tighten because the stove pars need to be able to move a little as the stove warms up.

A sash clamp or a Spanish windlass are handy for keeping the sides together whilst you put the lid on.

Harworth Heating's web-site has exploded diagrams.

N

The OP's stove is already well on the way to looking like an exploded diagram!

Tee! Hee! Very good.

I love my Morso stove and it has served well in various houses and trucks for 25 years But......

I've welded my top plate up after an over enthusiastic mate lit it up and reworked the side panels but it rather looks like the stove in your pictures. Time to weigh it in for scrap.I think.

Tree monkeys offer is great and it would be satilying to rework the old stove though I would be lookig to save hassle and replace.