Notice Alert

Peak Forest Canal

Starts At: Bridge 29, Bank End Bridge

Ends At: Bridge 30, Carrs Swingbridge

Sunday 20 September 2015 19:30 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Information

Update on 21/09/2015:

Canal & River Trust staff and Contractors have been working on site today, to slow and reduce the leakage, further investigation is required in to the Canal bed which will take place tomorrow.

We will issue a further update later tomorrow afternoon.

Original message:

We are losing water between bridge 29 and 30 and further investigations will be carried out tomorrow, Monday 21st September. Please do not moor between these bridges until further notice.

An update will be issued tomorrow when we have more information.

You can view this notice and its map online here:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/4737/bridge-29-30-peak-forest-canal

You can find all notices at the url below:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Now I wish I'd put the boat on the mooring the other way round. Wonder how many there are on the Furness side of the swing bridge, facing in New Mills direction but can only turn at the winding hole near NM. If navigation is closed, we're only getting up to Bugsworth or anywhere by foot. Often lots of boats moored up between the two bridges in question, they'll have had to move one side or the other. The Upper Peak's not exactly brimming with quality towpath moorings these days.

I would assume a lot of the boats from New Mills Side of the swing bridge will have gone up to Bugsworth and will stop there for the duration, using the stoppage as a reason for staying longer than the 48hrs. It is the best place for water and toilet services, though not as handy for the train.

The leak in question has been going on all summer. Seems CRT weren't aware of it. Begs the question, why not allow the leak to carry on for a month or two and deal with it as a winter stoppage?

If you were aware of it, why weren't CRT aware of it? After all, you have an interest.

If you were aware of it, why weren't CRT aware of it? After all, you have an interest.

I think it was well known but accepted as the way it was. An old system, and all that. Leaks happen. You might have thought that switching the water off at Whaley for a maximum of 3 days before getting complaints for low water levels might have prompted the engineers at CRT to realise that a similar amount of water wasn't going through Marple locks.

In fairness to Ricco1 I too thought it was common knowledge that water's being lost somewhere along the length. Good that it's actually being addressed, although a short walk down the towpath would show them loads more locations needing attention aswell. For some reason 'passport to pimlico' now springs to mind, being in a few miles of dead end water. Those moorers from between the bridges moving up to Buggy would easily fit in but I'd hope they would find somewhere outside the arm, eg towpath near the sewage works or opposite the garden jetties, both nice enough locations and 14days towpath rule. No other boats will be coming beyond the stoppage so not as though it will get any busier overall while cut off, but as Bugsworth is about the only place anyone can go to that side it may get busy up there.

Notice Alert

Peak Forest Canal

Starts At: Bridge 29, Bank End Bridge

Ends At: Bridge 30, Carrs Swingbridge

Sunday 20 September 2015 19:30 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Information

Update on 23/09/2015:

The Trust have successfully implemented control measures between bridges 29 and 30. Stop planks have been installed and grouting has taken place which has had a significant impact to leaks.

Further investigation is now required in the area of a mine adit (a culvert taking waste water from an abandoned mine). Water will be pumped out of this section of the canal starting from 1200hrs Wednesday and over Thursday for further inspection of the canal shoulder.

We expect following the investigation that, we will aim to be able to re-water the canal and re-open the canal again on Friday,

We aim to confirm this on Thursday afternoon.

The leak in question has been going on all summer. Seems CRT weren't aware of it. Begs the question, why not allow the leak to carry on for a month or two and deal with it as a winter stoppage?

They were aware of it, but the grouting being carried out made it worse, or that's what I was told by staff at Red Bull