Mast fell down - yotty through the middle jaunt on hold

dylanwinter

Featured Posts

I hate loose ends - so just to let you know the boat I was going to buy on the Humber

http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Sequence-03006-300x169.jpg

to take through the canals to the Ribble and up to the top of Scotland was involved in a bit of an accident and the mast came down as the yard was getting it ready to crane in

fortunately no-one was injured and I was not due to own the boat for another two weeks or so.

Bit a phew! moment.

I am back looking for elderly Centaurs so I have no idea which side of the country I will find one

I would just like to thank you chaps for all your help

it would have been an interesting adventure for three old blokes, a bike, an outboard and a fender festooned plastic boat.

you seem like very nice people

my son and his girlfriend are hard working mid twenties and living off grid on a CC - you know how much moving that entails

full of admiration for you long term aboards

easy in the summer - tough in the winter

D

https://onkudu.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/sailing-kudu-1-214.jpg

Why a centaur. Plenty of similar choices to broaden your search. Having said that I'm narrowing mine down to a Moody 33 but no intention of using canals (and I don't want bilge keels).

Suggest looking at Moody 35 as well. I owned one and had it described as having Tardis like qualities. This after a neighbour owning the equivalent Westerley Oceanquest was heard to comment, after being shown around, amazing how much extra space the additional two feet gives you. It was then I pointed out it was a Moody 35 and being based on the earlier 346, was actually six inches shorter than his Westerley.

For the sort of adventures that dylanwinter does the Centaur is a pretty good choice.
The Moody's (much as I love them personally) wouldn't be suitable.

That said, having bounced one through the french canals to the med and having taken it to the Faeroes on later trips I still want a Seadog.
Probably won't get one now though
*sighs*

We all have our favourites

I hate loose ends - so just to let you know the boat I was going to buy on the Humber

to take through the canals to the Ribble and up to the top of Scotland was involved in a bit of an accident and the mast came down as the yard was getting it ready to crane in

fortunately no-one was injured and I was not due to own the boat for another two weeks or so.

> snip <

Doesn't this accident make buying this particular boat a better proposition than before ? Surely the asking price is now very negotiable, and you will have saved the cost of un-stepping the mast for the journey across the Pennines.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Doesn't this accident make buying this particular boat a better proposition than before ? Surely the asking price is now very negotiable, and you will have saved the cost of un-stepping the mast for the journey across the Pennines.

you make an excellent point

and that is true for the Canal part of the adventure. However, I aim to spend four years sailing the outer hebs and the outside of Ireland and then I will hope that the mast stays up

it came down with one heck of a boing apparently. The foot sprung up into the air and it bounced down again. There were some strong forces involved and aluminium can and does develop hair line stress factures that are hard to see other than under frourescent light

which is hard to do inside the mast

a replacement mast is around 3K - and replacing a mast on a 4K wehere the engine is worth 2K boat becomes a bit of a nonsense

I am not that keen on bashing around scotland with a mast that has been structurally compromised.

I have been running a bit of pole with the small boat sailing men (MOB's) who kindly pay for the films and they say that they would rather that I made films about winter sailing than about fixing up old boats in windswept Humber boatyards

so .... I am now looking for a Centaur that is ready to roll.

More money involved but the blokes seem willing to hit the paypal button to influence the sort of films I make

$3 for buying a cruddy boat and fixing it

£186 in favour of buying a ready to roll boat and just make sailing films

so that is the direction I am now heading. It is funny how quickly plans can chnage

D

Edited by dylanwinter

For the sort of adventures that dylanwinter does the Centaur is a pretty good choice.

The Moody's (much as I love them personally) wouldn't be suitable.

That said, having bounced one through the french canals to the med and having taken it to the Faeroes on later trips I still want a Seadog.

Probably won't get one now though

*sighs*

We all have our favourites

Seadogs are lovely looking boats. At my Parents yacht club there was about 4 of them moored close to where my dad kept his Centaur. Dylan is right there are plenty of Centuar's about and they are great sea boats too.

https://onkudu.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/sailing-kudu-1-214.jpg

This Dylan Winter?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cc5mr

you make an excellent point

and that is true for the Canal part of the adventure. However, I aim to spend four years sailing the outer hebs and the outside of Ireland and then I will hope that the mast stays up

it came down with one heck of a boing apparently. The foot sprung up into the air and it bounced down again. There were some strong forces involved and aluminium can and does develop hair line stress factures that are hard to see other than under frourescent light

which is hard to do inside the mast

a replacement mast is around 3K - and replacing a mast on a 4K wehere the engine is worth 2K boat becomes a bit of a nonsense

I am not that keen on bashing around scotland with a mast that has been structurally compromised.

I have been running a bit of pole with the small boat sailing men (MOB's) who kindly pay for the films and they say that they would rather that I made films about winter sailing than about fixing up old boats in windswept Humber boatyards

I was thinking more along the lines of a possible deal with the existing owner in which he claims off his, or the boatyard's insurance for a new mast and any damage to the cabin top and deck etc., and then he lets the boat go to you, at the agreed price, but including a brand new, (un-stepped) mast to be delivered to wherever you specify on the West coast.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

I was thinking more along the lines of a possible deal with the existing owner in which he claims off his, or the boatyard's insurance for a new mast and any damage to the cabin top and deck etc., and then he lets the boat go to you, at the agreed price, but including a brand new, (un-stepped) mast to be delivered to wherever you specify on the West coast.

aha - I see what you mean now

better really to just pay to drop the mast on a good boat £45 - and then pay to get it put up again at the other end - £45

just fitting a new mast is going to take a rigger a whole day

and a lot of jiggery fidulation involved

D

just fitting a new mast is going to take a rigger a whole day

and a lot of jiggery fidulation involved

Plus at least a month of "tuning" as you adjust the new mast to the old sails (and boat) and your personal preferences

I prefer a fraction more rake aft than most Centaur owners

Bilge keel, 3'3"

Bukh 10 inboard

5 sails - 2 mains, lightweight genoa, heavy genoa, cruising shute

Moored on the Norfolk Broads

Needs a bit of a tidy up but nothing major, If I get £5000 I'll chuck in a hardly used honda 2hp 4 stroke outboard and 3 man wetline inflatable