Saltersford Tunnel Signage

sam pig

Featured Posts

Has anyone passed through recently and notice the lack of Signage at the North bound portal? Is it still running on timed passage?

We passed through over the weekend and the sign showing the green and white disk indicating the time permitted to enter has disappeared.

There is some tow path work taking place so it may have temporarily been removed but I seem to recall it was on the other bank from where the work is taking place.

It seems that the tunnel is still operating on said timings (boats Waiting), however, it's a very busy stretch for hire boats and could cause problems if CRT are relying on assumed knowledge as it has been in place for a few years.

I will give them a call on Tuesday but thought I would check on here with the vast knowledge Base.

Aye,

Even more sketchy having signage at one end and not the other as boats heading towards Northwich wil just assume the tunnel is clear as long as they are in the green sector (half past the hour till ten to), and boats may posbbily enter at the other end of the tunnel at will..

Not sure how long it has been like this but if for a while, there must have been some scenes...

I think there's a sign at the south end, but it's a long way back, at the entrance to the wide. Makes a certain amount of sense: at the tunnel mouth would make it invisible until boats were round the corner and past all the waiting moorings, half way down the wide would be a long way from boats passing in the middle. Another sign at the tunnel entrance to inform people who miss the first one would be useful, I guess.

MP.

Doesn't seem to make any difference what the signs are - when we went through in late March, smack in the middle of the "green" period, just as we were about to enter the tunnel we came face to face with a boat exiting at speed.

They didn't bat an eyelid.

Doesn't seem to make any difference what the signs are - when we went through in late March, smack in the middle of the "green" period, just as we were about to enter the tunnel we came face to face with a boat exiting at speed.

They didn't bat an eyelid.

I've met a boat halfway through who grumbled mightily about having to reverse out, and rather more scary, a canoe belting into it when I was a few yards from the exit.