Boat painting in a cool summer?

Featured Posts

So the plan was to repaint the roof before winter - scrabbler, rust treatment, primer, anti-slip topcoat and all. All of this beautiful paint is now staring me in the face. Unfortunately, as you may have noticed, the long-awaited summer never quite happened.

It's just so cool and dewy - not what Craftmaster recommends for painting! Any bare metal quickly oxidizes in this weather, and even on clear sunny days, we're getting dew!

And, of course, if you're painting outside without cover, you take what you can get. I'm definitely aiming for practical, not visually perfect. (After all, it's quite hard to get a Shiny Boat look on anti-slip paint...tongue.png )

In a perfect world, I guess I'd just wait 'til spring. But we live in an imperfect world - what's the consensus?

I don't think there is ever the perfect weather for paining outdoors, we did the same to our roof last year and it was too warm, the paint kept drying too quickly and blistered and bubbled despite throrough and correct preparation, (hubby went on a Phil Speight boat painting course and is a perfectionist!!) We did get the job done I the roof looks good to me but there are a few small blistered spots, I think the only way to get the best results is to hire a painting dock. Good luck!

So the plan was to repaint the roof before winter - scrabbler, rust treatment, primer, anti-slip topcoat and all. All of this beautiful paint is now staring me in the face. Unfortunately, as you may have noticed, the long-awaited summer never quite happened.

It's just so cool and dewy - not what Craftmaster recommends for painting! Any bare metal quickly oxidizes in this weather, and even on clear sunny days, we're getting dew!

And, of course, if you're painting outside without cover, you take what you can get. I'm definitely aiming for practical, not visually perfect. (After all, it's quite hard to get a Shiny Boat look on anti-slip paint...tongue.png )

In a perfect world, I guess I'd just wait 'til spring. But we live in an imperfect world - what's the consensus?

Eh? its been a cracking summer, No SSA on the Nene or Ouse for months in fact weve suffered from a lack of water rather than a glut :)

I've only been rained off from two car events that I wanted to go to and one day trip on the boat.

Not bad at all for a British Summer.

Thankfuly painting the boat wasnt on the cards though.....

Eh? its been a cracking summer, No SSA on the Nene or Ouse for months in fact weve suffered from a lack of water rather than a glut smile.png

I've only been rained off from two car events that I wanted to go to and one day trip on the boat.

Not bad at all for a British Summer.

Thankfuly painting the boat wasnt on the cards though.....

Agreed.

It has been a great summer so far.

Where are you moored (as in what sort of area), if it's a cutting you might be better served somewhere with more air movement.

Oh, and when the flies land on the wet paint, leave them alone until its dry. Then wipe them off with hardly mark to show.

You are not alone. One of my local moorers has been trying to paint his boat this summer so that I can re- letter it for him. He's not tried a paint job before and has found it a struggle to get a satisfactory finish, a combination of wind, rain flies etc. he was out of the water for a month and was still,unable to finish, I suspect that he may be under a motorway bridge locally trying to get the last coats on. I'd always advocate working under cover,though I appreciate that it's not always possible. I can recall only one recent occasion where an owner did a quality job before I re-wrote his boat....retired, it took him several months, he became an expert at weather watching and choosing his moment. He admitted that it had been quite a struggle! Good luck with your project, though there's not much weather window left this year. If I can advise at all, P M me

Cheers

Dave

I put a second top coat on the sides & end of my boat today and experianced wind, rain and flies. Had to use a touch of thinner to get the pait to flow as it was a bit too warm today but overall I am quite pleased with the eventual finish. Not a mirror finish but good enough to keep the elements at bay and that is the fundamental reason for boat paint. I only have a limitied amount of time available anyway so as long as the weather is dry & cloudy I tend to go for it.

If you want perfect conditions then you may need to find a covered dock or you could wait a long time for perfect weather conditions for outdoor painting.

Wiltshire, I've a mate in Cricklade who has cracked on a treat with his property and built a motorhome for his daughter and grandkids, they've been to the New Forest no end in their own motorhome as well as the hectic time getting tons of other jobs done.

Last time we spoke he said he couldn't remember a summer he has achieved so much without the weather ballsing it up for him.

Like NC and myself he works a full week too :)