Insulating under the carpet

Featured Posts

We are considering adding a layer of foil coated bubble wrap under the carpet undelay I an attempt to improve the insulation. Does anyone know whether that's a good idea? Will the bubbles burst? Are there condensation issues we should consider?

Also thinking about applying carpet tiles under the gunwales maybe with bubble wrap too, again any caveats.

Thanks

Top Cat

We have very thick underlay, about 12mm. Looks like it was made from lots of heavy foam offcuts.

Rather than bubble wrap you could use the foam camping mats. I've used them for insulating cupboards etc.

http://www.blacks.co.uk/activities/103110-multi-mat-camper-mat.html/502847/?istCompanyId=d92b362f-ac8a-4a8a-87ca-c56eafad7955&istItemId=raxlaqwxx&istBid=tztx&mkwid=sZKIKHW3h_dt&pcrid=76366511542&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKEAjwjMauBRDH-bOCo56b13wSJABA2-HvMndrL-YJtKSdcHrwmkLGWiWgc_PrUuXfyw3NZe7SChoCKiTw_wcB

I think it sounds interesting, the only drawback might be the continuous "pop bang" as you walk - until all the bubbles have burst and then you're back to square one!

I saw mention recently of a new version of bubblewrap that has non-popping bubbles. It does rather take the fun out of the stuff though.

There is a thin plastic foam/ bubble wrap made for underlaying "click" laminate floor boards

It is not expensive, and about 3 mm thick, can be laid in several layers if under floor is uneven.

Edited by Dalslandia

I think it sounds interesting, the only drawback might be the continuous "pop bang" as you walk - until all the bubbles have burst and then you're back to square one!

I've had a walk on some without any covering and nothing popped. I think the trapped moisture might be more of an issue though so I think we'll start with thick foam crumb underlay.

T C