Insult or Being nice ?

brassedoff

Featured Posts

So i arrive at a flght of locks for the first time and a Crt Volunteer helps me and my dad through them.

We chat and have a laugh make a brew, cut to the chase is it an insult or wrong to say here take a £10 quid

see i am new to boating but i just want to do it right thats all ? people are people.

Yeah, I talk nicely to them, would offer tea if I was making one, not if I wasn't.

My ex's dad's a CRT volunteer, loves it, gets him out the house, near boats, likes helping people, did/does a load with WRG too. Not sure what his reaction would be to being offered a tenner, or if he would mention it if he was, but while he talked plenty he never mentioned it.

Daniel

Can of beer or bottle of wine if you feel the need maybe? I wouldn't offer any recompense personally because volunteering isn't about expecting anything back. That's just my view - not necessarily the right one :)

Glad i got that out of the way and thanks everyone,

To be honest if i was doing Voluntary i would feel weird takling money,

I totally see why people volunteer, its rewarding.

Maybe an Egg n Bacon Butty and a good laugh will make everyones day and bring a smile. smile.png

A good brew and a chuckle is good enough, if i can leave someone with a smile then my work is done, LOL

Edited by brassedoff

Glad i got that out of the way and thanks everyone,

To be honest if i was doing Voluntary i would feel weird takling money,

I totally see why people volunteer, its escapism from stuff either retired or working day forfillment.

Maybe a Egg n Bacon Butty and a good laugh will make everyones day and bring a smile. smile.png

I just read all the answers and thought you daft sod, just have a laugh like i norrmally do and take it as it comes.

A good brew and a chuckle is good enough, if i can leave someone with a smile then my work is done, LOL

Just the way i think maybe.

Yep egg n bacon butty, cup of tea, ride on the boat - that's deffo more in the spirit. If I was a volly I'd be embarrassed rather than insulted at the offer of money but egg and bacon sandwich and a little cruise on your boat - hell yes!

Yep egg n bacon butty, cup of tea, ride on the boat - that's deffo more in the spirit. If I was a volly I'd be embarrassed rather than insulted at the offer of money but egg and bacon sandwich and a little cruise on your boat - hell yes!

Yay, no joke i am buzzing

smile.png

Edited by brassedoff

Dean : i will more than likey end up working voluntary for CRT next year on the maintanance side.

Ange : a spare bottle of shabbly will always be on hand on a flight of locks. smile.png

Pink wine for me :):cheers: I do hope we'll meet some day.

Totally non axe murderer stalkish :)

Pink wine for me smile.pngcheers.gif I do hope we'll meet some day.

Totally non axe murderer stalkish smile.png

Ive never met an Axe Murderer that likes Baby Sham Ange, i trust you expletively unsure.png

Lol maybe one day we may crash into each other lol laugh.pngcheers.gif

Edited by brassedoff

Ive never met an Axe Murderer that likes Baby Sham Ange, i trust you expletively unsure.png

:D I do like you!

Lol maybe one day we may crash into each other lol laugh.pngcheers.gif

Boo - buggered up the post but I'm sure you can decipher it

Crunches Narrowboats together - Ooops

Tut owe dear, now we will have to open 4 bottles of wine and discuss this crash LOL

Badump! loltongue.png

ROFL! You are a girl after my heart :D

Crt Volunteers are just that, Volunteers they do it cus they like to help people, they don't need paying, just be happy they are there to help you, you could make them a brew tho cheers.gif

Thanks smile.png a good brew in a polityene cup. lol cheers.gif

Edited by brassedoff

Yeah, I talk nicely to them, would offer tea if I was making one, not if I wasn't.

My ex's dad's a CRT volunteer, loves it, gets him out the house, near boats, likes helping people, did/does a load with WRG too. Not sure what his reaction would be to being offered a tenner, or if he would mention it if he was, but while he talked plenty he never mentioned it.

Daniel

Hi Daniel, i personally would feel a weird buzz going through me if someone offered me a tenner for voluntary work which i really enjoyed.

Good chat is worth money and i really know that.

Their are some nice people out their.

Enterprising kids.

No more, "Can I wash your car mister?"

Now, stand at the end of a flight of locks (say Audlem) and say "If you give me £5 or £10 I'll do all the locks while you relax".

Then do the same the other way.

Rob....

It's the thin end of the wedge. Any money for help doing the flight ought to go into CRT coffers not the pocket of a volly, otherwise it could become the de facto 'norm' to tip the volly if there is one present.

There are boaters prefer to work the locks themselves though, in which case that might have to tip the volly not to help!

I'd suggest if anyone is particularly impressed by the actions/standards of CRT volunteers they should become a "friend" of the trust. £5 a month is the minimum contribution and your volunteer lockie would get far more satisfaction knowing he/she has helped to swell the CRT coffers than if he/she trousered a £10 tip.

• Greenie 1

My banks always overdrawn, £10 means a weekends food.

I would much prefer to have a good chat and make someone a brew for helping me and my dad through the locks.

I did not mean can we throw money at the dam pesky locks and skip the awkward bit lol

Ha ha, have a hot potatoe well done thanks for that

Old school

i Just wanted to ask whats what

Edited by brassedoff

My banks always overdrawn, £10 means a weekends food.

I would much prefer to have a good chat and make someone a brew for helping me and my dad through the locks.

I did not mean can we throw money at the dam pesky locks and skip them lol

Ha ha, here have a hot potatoe lad well done.

Old school

Just wanted to ask whats what.

If you haven't got £10 to offer then does it matter?

We have given beer or a brew but cash could be deemed a bit awkward for some I would imagine.

Has anyone thoght of charging gongoozlers for the entertainment?

If you haven't got £10 to offer then does it matter?

We have given beer or a brew but cash could be deemed a bit awkward for some I would imagine.

Has anyone thoght of charging gongoozlers for the entertainment?

Dam right i would feel awkard taking money off anyone for an honest bit of voluntary work of which i enjoyed, i use to voluntaryly mop 3 floors for a homeless scheme. if someoe walked past me and said hey love thanks for that heres £10 i would feel OMG whats going on here then.

i know volunteers do what they do because it gets them out and about and its something they enjoy.

I really very much doubt they go home and say to their partners ' what stinjy Bunch of Boaters today i got sod all '

judge.gif rattles the tip jar lol

Edited by brassedoff