Thames Lock, Brentford

NilesMI

Featured Posts

I've been trying to phone the lock-keeper at Brentford. Just permanently on answer machine saying, we are on summer opening hours, leave a message and we'll call you back asap. So far I haven't had a reply.

Planning to go out at Brentford tomorrow, up to Teddington and beyond. There is a curious navigational note in the Nicholson's guide about low headroom at the bridge at Brentford (High St) between the gauging locks and Thames lock. However, no mention of this in the CRT boater's guide.

Can anyone shed any light on whether High St bridge is a problem to navigate with a narrowboat.

Also, as I understand it, I work through the gauging lock using a CRT key, then just present myself at Thames lock, no booking required. I want to leave around 13:30 tomorrow. Makes sense to me as HW at Richmond is around 15:00 and will be able to go through the half tide barrier and make Teddington before the tide turns.

There is nobody at Brentford out of tidal times!

Lockie arrives 5 minutes before your due to go out, on his push bike.

If you can't get hold of him, I would just turn up, as did a couple of boats did when i came up to Teddington few weeks ago!

There is time to get plenty of locks full of boats heading Teddingtons way.

Have a good trip and mind the weed on the run into Brentford.

Nipper

PS. There is a lockie at the Gauging locks, from about 9 am ish!

Edited by nipper

Hi,

Passed through Brentford onto Thames two weeks ago. The lockkeeper is at the lock 2 hours before high tide(best time for trip to Teddington). The gauging lock is generally self service and electrically operated. Moor up and have a look at the control panel before using the lock - some boaters find the operation confusing. When looking at the panel, the top of the panel operates the gates and sluices on the side of the lock furthest away from you and the bottom part of the panel operates the gates and sluices closest to you. The bridge height is generally(exccept at very high tides) no problem when leaving the gauging lock.

If you are returning via Brentford and there are boats waiting to use the gauging lock it is better to "hover" between the Thames lock and the bridge. If you are under the bridge it is easy to drift into the lower part of the bridge arch.

Hope tis is useful.

Just to say: Thanks again.

Moored up above Hanwell flight last night and got down to Brentford for lunch. Brentford was fine. There was a cheery lock-keeper at the gauging locks as well as a lockie at Thames Lock.

High St bridge was no problem at all, today.

Lovely trip up the river. The extra bonus was meeting the Queen's barge, Gloriana, leaving Teddington lock as we were waiting to go in.

No time to sample anything at the Magpie and Crown, but defininitely bookmarked for future visits. BTW The Viaduct (pub) at Hanwell is is decent gaff, if you are in the vicinity.

Onwards to Guildford.....

Edited by NilesMI

I know it has been mentioned before but do make sure that you leave Thames lock (when going our on to the Thames) two hours before high water at Brentford. This means that you get helped upstream by a following tide. A reasonable engine will be able to push your narrowboat upstream against the tide but it will take much longer and you might find the movable weir at Richmond lowered. If that happens you will need to use the lock at Richmond bridge for which their is a small charge.

N

I would second that. HW at Richmond was 14:54, so we left Brentford at 13:20. That was still plenty of time to reach Teddington before the tide turned.

Richmond barrier is open 2hrs either side of HW. Phone Richmond lock ahead of your journey and he will tell you exactly when the barrier will be open. Much easier than using the lock.

BTW, lockie at Teddington today was very helpful.