Rain collection

Lady_Trish

Featured Posts

I want to rig up a rain collecting system for my narrowboat, and plan to use a roll-out tarp kind of set up that would come into a separate water tank for treatment (I already have a decent filter system in place).

However I'm aware that tarpaulin is treated with water resistant chemicals, etc and is really not suitable for water collection. Does anyone have any suggestions about what kinds of material would be suitable for rain collection? Or even any other ideas about alternative setups?

The plan to is minimise the need to fill up water over the winter!

Some of the large blue barrels are food grade- think they are polyproplene. Dont use anything white or clear- moulds will soon grow. Does your filter system take out micro-organisms such as bacteria?

It does indeed, but it will be after the point of collecting (its a gravity fed system, and its slow. About a drip per second). The storage tank is not so much the problem, that will be inside the boat I think coming in via a hose. The collecting material/tarp will be set up on the roof. Its funny you mention polyprolene, as I think you can get tarp made of it (polytarp its called if memory serves). Opinions are mixed as to its safety though.

How much trouble is it to fill up the water tank from a water point , even having to go up and down a few locks to a water point or cruise a couple of miles I imagine is less of a rigmarole than collecting rain.

How much trouble is it to fill up the water tank from a water point , even having to go up and down a few locks to a water point or cruise a couple of miles I imagine is less of a rigmarole than collecting rain.

Well call it a passion, or whatever you want I really don't mind. I'm doing it for many reasons ;-)

Now, back to the matter at hand... safe materials or alternative designs. Any takers?