crew wanted

merline

Featured Posts

Hello

looking for an experienced person to help us move our 60ft narrowboat from Highline yachting Iver to P&S marine bridgewater basin Watford.

About a day's cruise, 13 miles 63/4 furlongs and 11 locks according to canal route planner.

My wife and I are novices never even operated a lock so could do with a hand!

Iona is a 1909 bantock converted with a '57 lister fr3m

and traditional controls?, runs good. she is partially stripped ready for a new cabin.

looking to move her round about begining of august, short notice I know!

many thanks.

What sort of time frame are you looking for? I am probably a bit far north to come down for a day trip, but if people know when you can do (weekends, weekdays, next few days, anytime in the next month, etc) it will help I am sure.

Daniel

Having done 5 days in June for hughc and 7 days this month for paulmeds, I'm becoming a bit of a serial crew volunteer, and had thought I wouldn't have time for another trip until Sep/Oct, but this one's so close I could get there (West Drayton) and home (from Watford Underground) on my 60+ Oystercard, so only a long day out. I'd be looking to walk up the towpath from West Drayton and meet you at the junction of the Slough Arm with the GU about 10:30; you won't encounter the first lock until after that. With efficient boating I think we should get to Watford before dark, perhaps 8pm.

I'm good with locks, but only have some limited experience of steering, so if you get a better offer please do take it. Ideally if you can get RevCedd or someone else as a guest skipper on a day I can manage (most weekdays are good, a Saturday or Sunday is bad for me), they can be with one of you on the boat while I'm with the other doing locks. If I'm all you can get you may feel brave enough to make do on steering with whatever initial advice you can get from Highline plus the little I can teach you.

Various extra thoughts on this:

This being such an old boat, I wouldn't know whether there is any special information you need to know before running it; if so can someone who knows about these things offer the OP some advice? I like the sound of "runs good".

The suggested timetable I mentioned is probably pessimistic; passing the Slough Arm junction at 10:30 and with two people doing locks, 3 lock miles per hour should be no problem, so you'd be looking at arriving at Watford about 6pm, assuming you have food and drink on the go so no stopping.

It'll depend on various factors such as weather and traffic; it always helps if some boats are coming the other way, and not too many going in your direction, except one to share locks with is nice. Also, not having done that stretch I'm not sure how many moored boats there might be to pass.

If no proper amateur skipper is available for a day that suits you, and you don't fancy winging it, there are professionals you could hire for a day's instruction on your boat, the going rate being maybe £100 plus travel costs.

Anyway, I'll PM you with my mobile number, feel free to ask any questions.

Following various phone calls, merline and his wife now have this trip lined up for Friday 7th August, with RevCedd as driving instructor plus me as crew. I love it when a plan comes together. I'm looking forward to meeting you all and having a nice day out on the glorious western fringe of London. Not an area I know much about, being from south of the river, but that's the fun of volunteering as crew, I get to meet new people and experience different boats and waterways.

Well, despite one mechanical misdemeanour 100 yards from the start, we got there and even made good time. Lovely day and great to meet you all. I look forward to seeing Iona again when she is done and perhaps coming on the return trip, not that you will need me then! Best Wishes.

Edited by RevCedd

It was a great day out, nice to meet merline, his wife and RevCedd for a cruise along the GU. After a short while sitting on the GU towpath at the junction gazing along the Slough Arm waiting for nb Iona due to the aforementioned engine problem, it appeared and I started my day as crew by wielding the pole to help us turn the corner to aim for Watford. It was a fine day, hot at times working locks in the sun, but very enjoyable and Mrs merline did us proud on the refreshments despite not actually having a galley on board.

We didn't meet many other boats, but London boaters can rest assured that help is on its way; we passed a coal+diesel pair and later a pumpout boat, both southbound.

It's good to know that such an old boat will be renovated and back in use again later this year when merline has replaced the rotting wooden roof with a new metal one and done a fit out. The current layout is trad stern, engine room, grotty empty space with no floor and a ceiling that could collapse at any moment, bucket room with a sheet up either side, big quite nice but almost empty space, bow. Some might call it a slum, but improvements are planned. The engine generated quite an alarming amount of smoke at times, but it made a credible sounding chugging noise and got us to Watford. It was certainly fun.

A grand day out! It's been 20 years of dreaming and planning but finally got to steer our own narrowboat! Many many thanks to Revcedd and Peter X for making it such an enjoyable experience. We are now hooked and can't wait to take her out again although that will be a few months until she is ready to sail again. Got to get busy now and strip the old wood top off weld the nice new steel top on.