A Somewhat Unusual Request

Caerwyn

Featured Posts

I'm a short story writer on the lookout for some poor soul who wouldn't mind chatting with someone who went on endless narrowboat holidays as a child but is otherwise completely clueless :)

I'm especially interested in knowing:

• If there is there any way to find out when a specific boat was built, assuming you have the registration number;
  • What some of the common problems are likely to be with a boat that has been neglected for an extended period of time, especially anything that could lead to the hull or structural integrity of the boat being compromised;
  • The sort of damage you might expect on a boat that was poorly moored, especially during storms.

Any thoughts gratefully received. Would love to have a chat about it by PM/IM if anyone has the time/inclination.

To help you along, you need to have made five posts before you can use the PM system here.

Reply to this and you are up to two

Richard

In a post today in another thread, it was stated that only two posts are now needed. Please clarify!

Or even better than pm, have the discussion here on this thread as it's about theoretical problems with boats and nothing personal to anyone.

If you're looking for some kind of dramatic mooring damage then I think the boat needs to be on a river in food rather than on the cut.

• Greenie 1

Or even better than pm, have the discussion here on this thread as it's about theoretical problems with boats and nothing personal to anyone.

If you're looking for some kind of dramatic mooring damage then I think the boat needs to be on a river in food rather than on the cut.

What, like custard?

Thanks, Sabcat.

My pondering this started about a week ago when I went out for a walk with my partner, and found a very sad and sorry-looking boat moored up on a canal not far from me. It didn't seem to be tied up very well, and every time something came past it the boat was getting dragged out some way into the water and then slamming back against side. I was kind of hoping that poor mooring combined with an existing problem and some brutal winds might be enough to put a hole in a boat.

If you think not, I may have to rethink, though!

Starcoaster> I can't do you any zombies, I'm afraid, but I can raise you a weird goblin water spirit if that helps ;)

It would largely depend on how sound the hull structure is. For instance my boat has 10mm thick steel base and 6mm steel hull which will withstand a fair amount of bouncing against the bank. However the steel will corrode overtime, if not well maintained and thus could be much thinner on an older boat. Also if there was a sharp object in the bank such as a pointed rock or raised bolt head the localised impact damage could be greater.

In a post today in another thread, it was stated that only two posts are now needed. Please clarify!

Simple - Richard is mistaken (unless the post requirement has gone back up again)

If it's any help, I have never heard of a boat having a hole worn through the hull

Sinking through neglect - yes. Generally rainwater together with flat batteries and an automatic bilge pump that doesn't work

Richard

we had a whole thread on zombies......;-)

I second what someone else has said....let this thread run and run and you'll find it'll have 1000 posts and a well of helpful information...much more than waiting for people to PM you privately....

Simple - Richard is mistaken (unless the post requirement has gone back up again)

Working on old information, except the OP appears to need more than two. We need some proper information

Richard

Working on old information, except the OP appears to need more than two. We need some proper information

Richard

We are both wrong actually - you need 3. From the R&G's-

New members with a post count of 2 or less will not automatically have access to the Chat or PM (private message) system as a spam limitation measure.

more likely that a boat would rust away, develop small pin hole size leaks, and sink.....I expect in a storm the wind would certainly be able to blow 2ft of water over the stern...into the engine bay...and once the engine holes reach water level it's all a quick sinking process from then.......there was a story on this forum a year back of a couple whose boat sank due to water coming over in waves due to the wind....

some boats have a wood top....and I guess years of rotting and rain would let water into the hull, and push it downwards...cause rust...etc

Edited by DeanS

We are both wrong actually - you need 3. From the R&G's-

New members with a post count of 2 or less will not automatically have access to the Chat or PM (private message) system as a spam limitation measure.

You're still wrong (in theory) - reaching 2 posts will auto upgrade from "New Member" (who aren't allowed to use the PM system, among other things) to "Member" (who are allowed). Why its not working for the OP, I have no idea. Also I don't know why the rules and guidelines have the error in either.

You're still wrong (in theory) - reaching 2 posts will auto upgrade from "New Member" (who aren't allowed to use the PM system, among other things) to "Member" (who are allowed). Why its not working for the OP, I have no idea. Also I don't know why the rules and guidelines have the error in either.

Well one can only take at face value what the R&G's say......

ANYWAY...moving back to the OP's request, we have discussed a steel / iron hull vessel resisting getting a hole to sink, but what about if the boat was wooden hulled? IF the wooden boat (an old Joey maybe?) had been left in a mooring for a while, over time with passing traffic the mooring lines would have slackened allowing it to be pulled out by passing traffic and back again aganst the pilling, over time and also with combination of a storm perhaps the hull would be holed by some of the steel pilling?