First time hiring

Nige G

Featured Posts

I'll be hiring a nb for 4 days at the beginning of September. It'll be the first time on the cut for over 20 years!

Starting from Rugby, we're still not sure which way to go or how far to go before turning round.

Initial thoughts were to head north via Coventry canal and on to Ashby. Only one lick that way!

We did Ashby & return from Rugby base in 4 days as our first nb outing in July 2012.

We managed to get to the end and back with time to divert down to Coventry for lunch on the return leg, and had a great time.......only problem is it seems to be very addictive this narrow boating business☺

I guess it depends on whether you are wanting a relaxing four days or something a little more energetic and interesting. If the former then up the Oxford to the Ashby would certainly fit bill. Entirely rural unless you take the short diversion into Coventry basin. Some interesting things to do/see there by the way, such as the transport museum and the cathedral. The lock at Hawkesbury juction is just a stop lock with a rise/fall of just a foot. Another couple of options are going south onto the GU taking in the Braunston and Buckby flights (wide locks) and the Braunston tunnel. You could even head up the Leicester line via the Watford flight which is quite interesting. Your third option, which continues the narrow lock theme is the South Oxford via the Napton flight. Just three locks at Hilmorton and then the Napton flight. There is even a fourth option going that way of the GU north via the Calcutt (wide) locks before you get to Napton.

In order of relaxing, first the North Oxford and the Ashby, second the South Oxford via Napton and the most energetic would be the GU south.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

We did Hawkesbury to Coventry basin and back just over a week ago, as Ken says, good for shopping and/or if you want to explore the city.

We didn't see another boat moving in either direction for the first leg until just before bridge 1 just before the basin.

However, now we've done it, we won't be rushing back to do it again, although fairly green, that section Of the CC is rather scruffy with lots of graffiti, rubbish etc.

I saw my first dead dog floating along too, although I do appreciate you can get stuff like that anywhere, it's not a nice memory.

We had a nice meal in The Greyhound at Hawkesbury Junction.

ETA I can recommend the Ashby,The Dog and Hedgehog at Dadlington for food, the food at the White Swan in Stoke Golding was OK, but the staff were not very welcoming.

Edited by Beaker

How long is the boat? If it's a shorty then you could just cruise for 2 days then turn round without worrying too much about a winding hole. If a 'long'un' then check with a map, or canal plan. Don't decide till you know what the weather is going to do, if it's going to throw it down solidly, you are probably better to avoid too many locks. Till your crew get the hang of it they don't need the added distraction of hands slipping on windlasses etc.

Wherever you go, you'll enjoy it, I've never met anyone who, having enjoyed it previously, didn't enjoy it even more second time round.

Edited by Hawthorn

We did Hawkesbury to Coventry basin and back just over a week ago, as Ken says, good for shopping and/or if you want to explore the city.

We didn't see another boat moving in either direction for the first leg until just before bridge 1 just before the basin.

However, now we've done it, we won't be rushing back to do it again, although fairly green, that section Of the CC is rather scruffy with lots of graffiti, rubbish etc.

I saw my first dead dog floating along too, although I do appreciate you can get stuff like that anywhere, it's not a nice memory.

We had a nice meal in The Greyhound at Hawkesbury Junction.

ETA I can recommend the Ashby,The Dog and Hedgehog at Dadlington for food, the food at the White Swan in Stoke Golding was OK, but the staff were not very welcoming.

Agreed on the staff at the white swan in Stoke Golding, we couldn't get anything more than a grunt out of them.

My advice is to carry on walking about 300 yards up the hill past the white swan, there is another pub up there which seemed far better (also an indian restaurant and post office up there)

Boat is 65 feet so will need to find a windy hole to turn around. My mum and her fella are coming with us so the lick free route is more appealing.

Is there anywhere we should avoid mooring overnight?

You do like licks don't you !

We like a sprinkling of licks too, otherwise it gets a shade montonous, though we have also O/Dd going up Hatton on the hottest afternoon of the year as well.

I reccommend you spend your last night at Newbold - the pub there is very tradintional - and it close to Rugby.

Edited by jake_crew