Fire board for Morco install

Featured Posts

Hello, I've just finished building a cupboard for my morco with sufficient room to install fireboard upto 25mm.... The thing is, I don't know which one to get?

Any recommendations? Thank you

Have you read the installation instructions...?

I'm not sure installing one in a cupboard is compliant.

Yeah, spent time on the forum too. As long as there is sufficient ventilation, which there will be as I plan to install a vent, venting it directly outside. But thanks for the note... Better to be sure and safe right.

Compartment ventilation requirements for open flue appliances in houses are very strict because the risks are high. There's no way one single vent would be compliant, ven if directly to outside.

I'm shocked that the OP states the installation instructions say a Morco is OK inside a cupboard is acceptable at all. Let alone with only one air vent out through the roof - which by definition is going to be next to the flue terminal.

I'm now wondering if he grasps the difference between air vents (which supply both combustion air and compartment cooling air to the appliance) and the flue (which laymen tend to call a 'vent', and carries away combustion products to outside).

Not passing any views, I'm not qualified to!

But these are extracts from the manual, (some loss of formatting, but hopefully still understandable_).

The water heater requires a plentiful supply of fresh air for correct operation. Fixed
ventilators or air inlets should not be obstructed.
Do not install the water heater in a location where incomplete combustion is
foreseeable.
IE In bathrooms or bedrooms unless specifically allowed by national legislation.
The minimum ventilation free areas are stated in this manual and must be observed.
The water heater must be fixed to a load bearing wall in a vertical plane.
The water heater should not be installed adjacent to combustible materials, either
above or at the sides or rear, if the temperature of those surfaces could otherwise
exceed 65°C based in an ambient temperature of 15°C. In such cases a heat shield
must be installed in the form of a fabrication from sheet metal mounted away from
such surfaces to allow a minimum air gap of 25 mm.

and

AIR SUPPLY FOR COMBUSTION
Air requirements: Reference is made to BS 5482 BS EN 1949 and EN 721 covering
ventilation requirements for permanent dwellings, caravans and boats.
Fixed ventilation should be provided to avoid draughts as far as possible without
impairing the free area of ventilation, even in adverse weather conditions. If the heater
is positioned in location which may be subjected to strong draughts i.e. close to a
window or opening then strong draughts or gusts of wind may extinguish the pilot.

All permanent openings for ventilation should be designed to prevent the entry of
vermin. Where screens are provided, they should not have apertures of less than 6
mm. or greater than 9 mm. in any direction, and they should be accessible for
cleaning. Fine mesh screens shall be avoided as they are liable to become blocked
with dust.
The location of vents and the method of cleaning them should be stated in the
Owners Handbook (Caravans and Boats).
As a guide, the minimum effective free area of vents is stated below in connection
with this water heater. Additional appliances burning gas in the same area would
require additional air requirements.
1. If a D61B, D61E or G11E is installed in an enclosed space in a Caravan Holiday
Home the required ventilation is that as specified in BS 5482 part 2, i.e. 10 cm²
per kilowatt input rating divided between high and low. So the high and low
should be 55.5 cm² for the D61B, D61E and 113 cm² for G11E.
2. Where a D61B or D61E is installed in an open bottomed cupboard in a
Caravan Holiday Home, i.e. in a kitchen, the ventilation requirements are as
stated in BS 5482 part 2. (EN 721).

Is the idea that a room sealed, balanced flue appliance is ok inside a cupboard? I have no idea whether that's true or not. I have the old fashioned non-room sealed water heater.

As for fire board, B&Q do an 8x4' sheet of fire line board for about £10.50, so if you know someone else who needs some it's ideal. I don't know how it compares to masterboard, etc.