Horace Foster from Wolverhampton Boat Club

Rufford

Featured Posts

Does anyone know of or has heard of Horace Foster, originally a working boatman and latterly the maintenance man at Wolverhampton Boat Club? He used to work a boat called Vulcan and later lived on her?

I have just been given the opportunity to have his photos, magazines and even two tillers (one motor and one butty from the sounds of it).

Hopefully collecting this stuff on Thursday afternoon.

I knew Horace when he was still boating in the 60s,,often with his father Charlie. They worked for T & S Elements of Oldbury at one time, primarily bringing coal from the Cannock coalfields. Graham at Norton Canes has a photograph in his office of them engaged in this trade. I think Charlie had the Princess Anne at one time. Through Tony Phillips, another long time boater from those days, I got to know Charlie and Horace quite well. After trade ceased they helped Malcolm Braine out for a while, Horace later went on to work in security business. He gave a lot of help to another local boater, Trish, spending a lot of time on Jjinad. He made several trips with me on Resolute, it was a privilege to hand the tiller over! Charlie produced a written history of his boating days, I don't know where it is now that Horace has passed on. His funeral was at Bushbury, Wolverhampton, the chapel packed almost to overflowing.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Rufford, PM sent.

Re Vulcan H never worked her as she was converted in the 50s for walsall boys club by Ernie Thomas and renamed after him, my grandad and uncle (H) bought her from that organisation and she was our holidays for years until she needed a new bottom when she passed on to another member of the forum. As Dave says they did work for Elements for many years mainly on the Anglesey basin/GEC witton trade, amongst many others though with Princess Anne latterly. I have a short version of Grandads history but would love to see anything else of course.