Featured Posts

Hi everyone,
I hope you can help, I've tried looking on the forums but can't find any comments on this specific problem, although there are lots about water pressure.
I did give the others threads a read but if anyone has had this specific problem that would be helpful!
When I turn my taps on, all my taps (kitchen, bathroom & shower), there is around a 10 second delay and then the water rushes out really fast. It only works on high pressure.

Any pointers as to where to investigate first? I think its quite old so may just be showing its age but i wanted to ask around if there is something I should check before replacing it.
My setup as you can see if the photos is a Shurflo 30psi accumulator that I've pumped up to 30psi and a Jabsco Par-Max 2.9
I'm not sure what the device is at the far right, is that a none return valve? (between the pump and the on/off switch).

Thanks for the help!
I'm looking forward to getting more stuck into this online boaters community.
Si
See pump setup in pictures below

IMG 20150628 235743

IMG 20150628 235902

Thanks Paul, I'll try that with the accumulator tomorrow.

Hi Tony - its 10 seconds of nothing after I turn the taps on, then the pump kicks in and water spurts out instantly at high pressure just as you said first. If I lower the pressure then it stops again. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Accumulator is way too high pressure, there's a procedure for setting it (basically, empty it of water, then pump it up to just above pump cut IN pressure (not cut OUT).

Then report back how you get on.

No, it should be set to a few psi BELOW the pump's cut in pressure. Set with the pump switched off and a couple of taps open.

Edited by blackrose

Have seen 10psi mentioned as a safe starting point for the accumulator pressure ......

Possible also that there is some issue with the pump pressure switch or non return valve (if fitted) sticking ?

Sort accumulator pressure first though ......as described in the above posts

andy

Edited by Stormbringer

The only time I have experienced vaguely similar symptoms was when the when the water tank was nearly empty and also after then refilling the tank it failed to 'prime'. Even then, water/air sputtered out of the tap and, eventually, all the air was expelled.

A ten second delay is a long time, maybe as long as it takes to depressurise the pipes and accumulator but for all that time there must be air/gas escaping from the tap.

If you totally depressurise the accumulator (open the air valve with the pump on) the system should work much as it would without an accumulator, i.e. the pump will cycle on/off frequently at low flow rates.

My best guess is that that the cut-in pressure of the pump has become too close to the cut-out pressure due to a faulty microswitch or blocked bleed hole in the diaphragm.

Is the pump running (you can usually hear it) during the ten second delay?

Alan

Thanks for all your replies - The pump doesn't start running until after 10 seconds, then you hear it kick in.

Sometimes the when the hot water is hot (with the calorifier/engine heating) there is no delay to the hot water.... if that makes any difference. But the cold water is still slow.

It does sound like something is causing the cut in pressure to be too high

It sounds like a pressure switch problem. Just maybe a blockage in the drilling that passes water pressure to the switch diaphragm so the pressure at the diaphragm is different to tee pressure in the system. Could also be teh diaphragm has gone hard.

If it were mine I would fit an external pressure switch (Square D from preference or a Whale one contriving an automotive 10 amp + relay). Then worry about setting the accumulator pressure. For ease I would set the pressure (pump off tap open) to about half the cut out pressure.

My setup as you can see if the photos is a Shurflo 30psi accumulator that I've pumped up to 30psi and a Jabsco Par-Max 2.9
I'm not sure what the device is at the far right, is that a none return valve? (between the pump and the on/off switch).

From the wall you have: isolation tap - filter - pump - accumulator.

I think your question relates to the filter. The ring on the 'dome' bit should unscrew and it will have a gauze filter in it. Make sure that is clean.

Hi thanks all for your help. Sorted!

I took it all apart, emptied the pipes, checked the filter (clean), adjusted the pressure screw on the pump, removed the accumulator.

Tried it and it was then working fine.

Put the accumulator back in but set it to 5psi below the pump pressure and its working fine now.

Not exactly sure what fixed it in the end... but with all your information and ideas it got sorted.
I also have a lot more information/confidence about water pumps now so thats helpful if it happens again I know what chain/order of things to look at.

Thanks again!