7 days off work from the 16th july and where do i go

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, weve got 7 days to explore the local area from tamworth, from the 16th of next month.

i was planning a 2 1/2 day run to coventry basin and back taking it steady for mooring, resting chatting and eating, but i have just heard that the proximity to coventry basin used to throw up 1 or 2 ruffians that throw stones and undo mooring ropes for fun.

does anyone have any recent experience or knowledge of recent incidents in that area?

or should i look at a different route, say turning onto the grand union for a bit of a stretch.

i would appreciate any comments you may have, i dont wont to be moving for more than 5 or 6 hours per day so whatever you can suggest i would be grateful.

• Greenie 1

From 'Sutton Stop' (Hawkesbury Junction) to Coventry basin is about two hours, a hire company is based there and many have stayed overnight.

If you do not want to stay overnight, just go early in the morning, spend the day in Coventry (short walk) and return in the evening to the junction..

Coventry Basin is fine, and there are a number of interesting things to do and see such as the Transport Museum and the cathedral, both within walking distance of the basin. The last couple of miles into the basin are a little uninspiring but the rest of the trip down from Tamworth is nice and largely rural. The basin itself is secure but since the Excellence Afloat hire boat fleet have taken up residence in one of the two arms mooring might be at a premium. However their boats may well be out on hire so they may let you moor there. Another option is a diversion up the Ashby Canal. Very rural with no locks it is one of the nicest canals IMHO.

Ken

Thank you both for your replies so far, i purchased the boat from hinckley marina on the ashby canal so the only direction ive been in is going west on the coventy canal from marston junction, this was an enjoyable route up through atherstone locks and beyond to tamworth. So i wanted to go a bit further afield hence the question about coventry basin, there are several historic posts about masses of rubbish, teles and trollies and mattresses etc from just under 12 months ago, but i am leaning to the route out to wards rugby.

my wife though is saying whats beyond fradley junction towards stafford and is that within reach of 7 days

i would welcome comments on either choices.

The Trent and Mersey north west from Fradley is very easy, with few locks. Again quite rural, it has a couple of narrow sections and a small narrow tunnel to provide some interest, especially if you encounter oncoming traffic. There is a convenient Tesco and Morrisons for supplies right by the canal at Rugely and a side trip to Tixall Wide on the Staffs and Worcs near Great Heywood junction is a nice place to spend a night. Shugborough Hall is nearby to Great Heywood if you fancy a cultural diversion. Easily achieved in 7 days cruising.

Going the opposite direction down the North Oxford from Hawkesbury Junction is entirely rural and lock free until you get to Rugby. As pretty as it is, I think you would probably find it a bit boring after a while, especially as you would be retracing your route.

I think you would find the Trent and Mersey route would be more interesting.

Ken