Post Control Buttons - Not There On An Ipad?

Featured Posts

Whilst we are talking about this sort of thing, any chance of getting the control icons at the top of the post input window to work on iOS? I seem to recall its because they are Flash and iOS doesn't do flash.

Not sure if I knew about this.

- Are you saying the buttons at the top of the the post in put window (full, non-mobile version) do not work on an iPhone/iPad?

Do you have a screenshot of the like of this? Link to a past thread on this issue?

Daniel

Not sure I can find the old thread - I think the issues was scattered amongst various threads, but anyway this is what it looks like on an iPad:

post-9028-0-36794200-1435099995_thumb.jpg

It's not so much that they don't work, more that they aren't there at all.

Edited by nicknorman

Yeah, I get this on the iPad too. It claims to be the full site skin, but there's a lot missing from the reply screen, including the emoticons.

I don't have a prob on the Mac Mini with that. Will try using My Media when I'm next on the big machine, but won't be today, I'm out.

The iPad seems to have a skin midway between the full fat version and the stripped down mobile version.

I think this us the same issue reported here:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77088

Paul, can you look on the Invison forums about this ? And or raise a ticket.

Daniel

Daniel

IOS does not support the use of Flash. This covers Iphones, and Ipads. Apple kit running OSX or the various names, Maverick, or Lion (I cant test at the moment) may do. but not fully. You can post (see some of tests I have done), but you certainly cant manage your photos.

Why no Flash support, the word on the block is memory considerations.

It doesnt matter whether you use the default Safari browser or any of the third party ones. Ive tried three, you can get it on, but get it off?,

Oh and yes you can't use emoticons, certainly the ones available under flash. The ones under Apple dont work either.

There are other problems too, but until I make sure its not me I'll keep Shtumm eg, strike through, colour change etc

Edited by larkshall

IOS does not support the use of Flash. This covers Iphones, and Ipads. Apple kit running OSX or the various names, Maverick, or Lion (I cant test at the moment) may do. but not fully. You can post (see some of tests I have done), but you certainly cant manage your photos.

Why no Flash support, the word on the block is memory considerations.

It doesnt matter whether you use the default Safari browser or any of the third party ones. Ive tried three, you can get it on, but get it off?,

Oh and yes you can't use emoticons, certainly the ones available under flash. The ones under Apple dont work either.

There are other problems too, but until I make sure its not me I'll keep Shtumm eg, strike through, colour change etc

As I understand it, this is just related to the default web browser, Safari? If you download Google Chrome (for example), the alternate web browser supports Flash?

The opsys (IOS) does not support Flash, the default Safari certainly wont. Opera, wont, nor will the beta (very early version) of firefox. I will examine all the other browsers for apple., (just at the moment the App store is closed for some reason).

btw not all apps work on iphones and/or ipads

Edited by larkshall

As I understand it, this is just related to the default web browser, Safari? If you download Google Chrome (for example), the alternate web browser supports Flash?

No, Flash is part of the operating system, or at least it's a separate component, not part of any browser. Thus there is no support for Flash on Chrome running on an iPad (I'm trying it now). AIUI Apple say they don't like flash because it is insecure, however in reality I think it is a political issue.

It would be good if IP board could be made to display the controls without using flash. Dan mentioned v4 which is allegedly more mobile-friendly so perhaps it comes with an alternative to Flash?

Having done a quick look, indeed it seems Apple devices don't run Flash. So this is an issue which goes (far) beyond our own forum, or IP.Board not running on Apple (mobile) devices. I know there's a non-flash (basic uploader) option for uploading pictures, but the other features which rely on Flash aren't going to be available. And it looks like Adobe have given up on Flash for mobile devices too. So there's a massive legacy of content out there on the internet which relies on Flash, but Adobe don't support it so there's going to be no progress on getting Flash-related content onto more mobile devices. At least Android does have a Flash implementation and does support it, in a way.

Whether IPB4 uses much Flash, and where, I don't know because I've not looked in depth at it yet. I get the feeling there's enough changes in the way it works, and enough teething issues with it, that its a decision somewhat for the future.

Having done a quick look, indeed it seems Apple devices don't run Flash. So this is an issue which goes (far) beyond our own forum, or IP.Board not running on Apple (mobile) devices. I know there's a non-flash (basic uploader) option for uploading pictures, but the other features which rely on Flash aren't going to be available. And it looks like Adobe have given up on Flash for mobile devices too. So there's a massive legacy of content out there on the internet which relies on Flash, but Adobe don't support it so there's going to be no progress on getting Flash-related content onto more mobile devices. At least Android does have a Flash implementation and does support it, in a way.

Whether IPB4 uses much Flash, and where, I don't know because I've not looked in depth at it yet. I get the feeling there's enough changes in the way it works, and enough teething issues with it, that its a decision somewhat for the future.

In fact there is increasing support for non-flash devices on the internet. I rarely come across a website that doesn't work with the iPad due to there being no flash alternative these days, although when the ipads first came out it was widespread.

Anyway, one thing at a time as you say!

In fact there is increasing support for non-flash devices on the internet. I rarely come across a website that doesn't work with the iPad due to there being no flash alternative these days, although when the ipads first came out it was widespread.Anyway, one thing at a time as you say!

My experience too. AIUI, Steve Jobs had a deep and abiding hatred for all things Adobe, hence the deliberate design of the Mac architectures to be Flash incompatible. I guess all part of the stringent control Apple demands of third party programs and apps, like the menus in MacOS must *always* go File, Edit, ...., View, Window.

It does make for easier use of the Mac, of course.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=flash%20on%20ipad

Popular browser apps that will enable you to play Flash videos and games on your iPad include Photon Browser, Puffin, Skyfire Browser and iSwifter Browser. Photon Browser seems to be the most popular choice for iPad users that require Flash support.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#safe=active&q=flash+on+android

Adobe Flash Player is no longer available in Google Play Store for downloading. It follows a decision to halt development of the software for mobile devices. However, Android users can download and install Flash Player from ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19267140

Daniel