Mooring on a River

baldlimey

Featured Posts

In general, I'm no expert but I think it's roughly as follows:

Mooring rights on a riverbank belong to the owner of that land, so you need their permission and may have to pay them, but won't have to pay the navigation authority to moor there. If it's your land, e.g. a riverside private garden, you should be OK.

There are various navigation authorities, depending on which river, and which bit of the river. C&RT are the authority for some rivers, but lots of rivers come under the EA or someone else, e.g. the Port of London Authority control the Thames below Teddington.

You may well have to pay and/or have permission to navigate, depending very much on location.

If you state which river you have in mind, someone with local knowledge can give you a less vague answer.

In addition to the above I would add:

• the PLA own the freehold of much of the bed of the Tidal Thames, which is unusual
  • if you are thinking of putting any sort of structure in place then you may need permission from the Environment Agency, to ensure you don't damage the flood protection systems - obviously a bigger issue on rivers (eg in the Fens) where the water is higher than the surrounding land!