Side hatch rain canopy

David Lorimer

Featured Posts

I wonder if anyone has seen or designed him/herself a canopy to keep light rain from coming in the side hatch. I've looked for one on the web, in magazines and, more recently, at the Crick show and ... zilch.

We like to keep the side hatch open for ventilation but, due to the cabin's tumblehome even a slight drizzle means the floor gets soaked. Our boat has a continuous L-section grab rail and I think it should be possible to make a one-piece plastic moulding that clips on to the grab rail and that extends out some 8" over the side hatch. I intend to make a plywood prototype just to see if it works but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has invented this particular wheel already and, if a supplier exists, how to contact them.

Edited to mention that this is only for when the boat's moored, not underway! And that a one-piece moulding should be pretty flat and easy to stow away inside when not in use.

Edited by David Lorimer

Many boats use a removable perspex panel to keep the rain out, however you need to ensure that the wooden hatch lining is well protected from rain damage, by making sure the varnish is not damaged.

The panels are unique to each boat, so you will probably need to make one.

Edited to add the last paragraph.

Edited by cuthound

Thanks cuthound and yes I've seen the perspex panels, great idea but which provide light but not ventilation. Well noted the point re hatch door linings needing protection as well. Means a longer canopy, in our case around 1.10 - 1.20m. When the prototype's done (sometime "soon") I'll post a pic.

I wonder if anyone has seen or designed him/herself a canopy to keep light rain from coming in the side hatch. I've looked for one on the web, in magazines and, more recently, at the Crick show and ... zilch.

We like to keep the side hatch open for ventilation but, due to the cabin's tumblehome even a slight drizzle means the floor gets soaked. Our boat has a continuous L-section grab rail and I think it should be possible to make a one-piece plastic moulding that clips on to the grab rail and that extends out some 8" over the side hatch. I intend to make a plywood prototype just to see if it works but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has invented this particular wheel already and, if a supplier exists, how to contact them.

Edited to mention that this is only for when the boat's moored, not underway! And that a one-piece moulding should be pretty flat and easy to stow away inside when not in use.

Did you see the canopies on the Dudley Trust boat down by the marina at Crick? They had a light aluminium tube frame in two parts covered with a material and plastic canopy, looked the business.

What about trying a radiator clothes airer it would hook onto roof and stand off from side cover with any type of material .When not in use folds flat also can be used for original purpose .

Thank you all for these ideas; glad to see the problem's been considered by others! I was approaching it from an industrial design starting point and, today, had a visit from a long-time friend, an old seadog and mechanical engineer, who remarked on the need to keep it from blowing away. DeanS has brought it all back to basics: a piece of wood and something heavy to secure it in wind. Thank you, so simple! And easy to store.

Not on a narrow boat but on a boat on French canals 2 alloy tubes that could be folded down the cabin side, a length of track on the cabin top, like the track on caravan to fix an awning, a rectangular canvas/vynil piece slid in the track & held out in the manner of a shop sun blind by the 2 tubes. I guess this was more a sun rather than rain blind, but something similar would probably work, It also seemed to have a stiffening tube in a pocket in the outer edge & the 2 support tubes fitted in a metal eyelet I could not see how it locked in position although the pivot point had bolts that could be hand tightened.