Best soundproofing

Featured Posts

The engine noise is currently quite loud through the metal wall into the living area of the boat. I want to put in a sheet of something to lesson the sound. At B&Q I noticed the sell 3 types of product.

1. A polystyrene sheet, about 2 inches thick.

2. A foam sheet with silver foil on one side....about 2 inches thick

3. A type of plasterboard...blue in colour.....about 1/2 inch thick

or should I build an airgap...false wall on the engine side..and use a sheet of 12mm ply.

On the outside of the boat, it's my intention to use a thick rubber mat over the engine bay.

comments/ideas?

I've no idea what it's called but one of your fellow mods, Theo offered it for free on here and via the CWDF delivery service another mod GoodGurl collected it off him in Stoke (I think) and delivered it to me in Preston Brook, all for free. As I say I've no idea what it's called but it's bloody brilliant stuff. it goes on the engine side of the bulkhead, ask Theo what it's called.

Who said the mods never do anythingsmile.png

K

The engine noise is currently quite loud through the metal wall into the living area of the boat. I want to put in a sheet of something to lesson the sound. At B&Q I noticed the sell 3 types of product.

1. A polystyrene sheet, about 2 inches thick.

2. A foam sheet with silver foil on one side....about 2 inches thick

3. A type of plasterboard...blue in colour.....about 1/2 inch thick

or should I build an airgap...false wall on the engine side..and use a sheet of 12mm ply.

On the outside of the boat, it's my intention to use a thick rubber mat over the engine bay.

comments/ideas?

Contact TWMarine in Furness Vale for the proper stuff!

There's no way around it, you need a dense, lead-like, isolated layer,sandwiched between two soft foam layers.

http://www.twmarine.co.uk/sound.htm

Edited by jenevers

none of the above.

there is a whole technology surrounding this problem, and if you research it you will probably find that you need a holistic approach to the problem, involving more than making a panel 'soundproof'.

issues:

- vibration and noise are almost the same thing, so for 'noise' also read vibration.

- noise transmitted through the structure should be minimised by isolating the source from the structure.

- airborne noise should be absorbed or deadened using multi-layered material incorporating a layer of lead.

- if a panel has a hole of say 1% of the area then a much larger proportion of the noise will pass through - service holes for pipes and cables, drainage limber holes, etc.