Installing gas on a gas-free boat

Featured Posts

I Have just had a BSS completed on a Sea-going boat and it seems that the ventilation issue is 'ignored' by the surveyor.

The "minimum ventilation required" figure (for the appliances on board) was 24,360 mm2

"Ventilation installed" shows no figures and just a written comment "Sea Boat"

Maybe its OK to 'gas' yourself on Inland waterways if your boat is capable of going to Sea.

I think ventilation stuff is only advisory on inland waterways stuff also at present? could of course be wrong.

Tim

• 2 months later...

I installed my own gas system with no previous experience and its not that difficult. It's just plumbing after all. Install a bubble tester in the gas locker and you can test the system before use.

Look at the BSS essential guide for regs on things like spacing of pipe supports, and the Calor tables to determine pipe diameter based on total kW output of appliances and length of pipe run. The main thing is to make sure it's safe.

Thanks Blackrose, has given me hope I'm able to do myself. Going to be looking at the regs today to get an overview. Just wondered if there was any other helpful tips you could give... Maybe on piping and fittings, or things to look out for? Thanks again

Andreas

I Have just had a BSS completed on a Sea-going boat and it seems that the ventilation issue is 'ignored' by the surveyor.

The "minimum ventilation required" figure (for the appliances on board) was 24,360 mm2

"Ventilation installed" shows no figures and just a written comment "Sea Boat"

Maybe its OK to 'gas' yourself on Inland waterways if your boat is capable of going to Sea.

Lots of sea going boats are able to close down their ventilation to stop the greenies coming in, so don't have "Fixed ventilation"

Edit

I think its even mentioned in the BSS guide

Edited by ditchcrawler

We had gas installed this year on Tesla for the first time. It wasn't a big job, we already had a huge bow locker, it just needed some new vents cut. We also needed to increase ventilation from inside the boat to get the installation certified. Oh and a "Main Gas Valve Below" plaque.