Out to Lunch with Daphne

Featured Posts

A fine sight.

I thought that the chap in the yellow coat had got a glass of beer in front of him, but on closer inspection it's the spout of the water can, painted an attractive shade of mid-beer.

Nice paint job. Even the hull looks good.

Agreed. Just one observation, most Samuel Barlows boats had the main lettering shaded to the right but the shading on script written "Coal Contractors" was to the left. Phil Speight drew my attention to that some years ago. and photographic evidence supports that observation.

Edited to add:- How long before Alan Fincher comes on with photos to disprove me (and Phil)

Edited by David Schweizer

David

You are absolutely correct. I can't see any shading on the Coal,Contractors lettering, I assume it's not been added. When I wrote Admiral a few years ago, I baulked at the idea of switching shading on a panel and did it all to the right. Fender kickers be damned!

I've just finished Admiral again, this time in the old FMC livery. If you are Braunston later, you can appraise the job.

Cheers

Dave

Agreed. Just one observation, most Samuel Barlows boats had the main lettering shaded to the right but the shading on script written "Coal Contractors" was to the left. Phil Speight drew my attention to that some years ago. and photographic evidence supports that observation.

Edited to add:- How long before Alan Fincher comes on with photos to disprove me (and Phil)

Yes, in the latest NarrowBoat magazine, there's an interesting article covering sign writing, the author made the point that that was to visually break up the panel and make different parts of it stand out, hence the differing lettering style for "coal contractor" also.

David

You are absolutely correct. I can't see any shading on the Coal,Contractors lettering, I assume it's not been added. When I wrote Admiral a few years ago, I baulked at the idea of switching shading on a panel and did it all to the right. Fender kickers be damned!

I've just finished Admiral again, this time in the old FMC livery. If you are Braunston later, you can appraise the job.

Cheers

Dave

That's worrying for someone who's livelyhood depends on good eyesight (only joking Dave). Seriously if you enlarge the picture, shading to the right can be detected, but the signwriter has used a light hand on it.