Boats Among Only Affordable Homes

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

I can feel a rising swell of outrage on the way but when I was much younger the first boat, and the licence fee, was easily affordable, that was the start of a process that led me to further boats and being able to save money and get subsequent boats and then a house, all on very indifferent wages so that's a res from me.

I see Shelter have now come out and made a statement via the BBC saying words to the effect that boats are the answer to Affordable Housing

Boats among 'few affordable homes' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32501826

I think boats are AN answer for very few. As I've said here before, other than those I have met who actually live in a boat, I've not met one other person in the land world who would actually live in a 'cramped box' without instant access to all the utilities. I suppose this will just add weight to 'the waterways will become a ghetto' fallacy again.

I see Shelter have now come out and made a statement via the BBC saying words to the effect that boats are the answer to Affordable Housing

Boats among 'few affordable homes' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32501826

Perhaps Shelter should suggest caravans in Hyde Park.

Even more affordable and no nasty CRT enforcement officers chasing you.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 2

I have not quite come to terms with this "affordable" business.

Affordable for whom ?

I can afford a £100,000 boat, Mr X can afford a £200,000 boat, both boats are 'affordable' by the people looking at them, but may not be affordable by others.

Who is this mystery man for which everything has to be affordable - is it another case of 'dumbing down' and marking everything

down to the lowest common denominator ?

If a boat/house/mooring are suddenly made 'affordable' what is to stop me buying one and stopping 'Mr Mystery man' getting one ?

Is everything 'affordable' now going to be subject to a means-test ?

Perhaps Shelter should suggest caravans in Hyde Park.

Even more affordable and no nasty CRT enforcement officers chasing you.

George ex nb Alton retired

Perhaps you firstly need to understand the good work that Shelter does for the homeless before sitting at home on your computer making such ridiculous statements

• Greenie 2

I have not quite come to terms with this "affordable" business.

Affordable for whom ?

I think it's a euphemism for "at the cheap end of the market". I don't know if it was coined by a politician or by an estate agent

Compare and contrast expressions used in boat adverts, such as ""a blank canvas" (no furniture, cooker or engine), "ready for you to express your personality" (it hasn't got any personality), "intriguing project" (nothing bloody works) and so on.

Perhaps you firstly need to understand the good work that Shelter does for the homeless before sitting at home on your computer making such ridiculous statements

However it's pretty irresponsible of Shelter not to point out the obligations placed upon you if you choose to live on a boat ie get a mooring or comply with CRT's guidelines. As presented yes it looks an attractive option, that is until the true costs (in particular a mooring) and/or your obligations are fully understood.

Of course the fault for this could lie in the reporting of what Shelter actually said,

I believe 'affordable' when used of property built as such means 80% of the market value. Which, in most of London, means affordable only if you're a banker with a damn great bonus or a buy-to-let landlord who can cover the mortgage out of the vast rent you'll charge. Certainly wouldn't have been affordable for us if we hadn't been here 30-odd years.

And talking of rents, who can afford £1200 per month for a 2-bed flat? (And that's regarded as 'good value', I understand.) As I said, the housing market isn't so much broken as completely ground to dust. Unless you're a private landlord, in which case it's working very nicely thank-you.

An off-the-wall thought about markets. For the Ancient Greeks, the god of the markets was Hermes (who became Mercury in the Latin pantheon). As well as markets, Hermes was god of thieves. Think on.

I think it's a euphemism for "at the cheap end of the market". I don't know if it was coined by a politician or by an estate agent

Compare and contrast expressions used in boat adverts, such as ""a blank canvas" (no furniture, cooker or engine), "ready for you to express your personality" (it hasn't got any personality), "intriguing project" (nothing bloody works) and so on.

I am sure you are correct - but - there are (for example) calls for C&RT to provide 'affordable' moorings in central London.

How can you make a 60 foot piece of towpath different to another 60 foot piece of towpath and offer it at the

'bottom end of the market' and offer it at (say) £1000 when the next mooring is achieving £10,000

The only way I can envisage that working is to offer them in non-desirable areas which no one would then take up

Do these people understand the hidden costs of actually living and owning a boat? Like buying a house, the lump sum paid for the property is not the sole expense

No of course it's not, but the lump sum, being generally much lower than that required to buy even a small flat, is surely more easily achievable, or more easily saved up for. So it's quicker and easier to get on the ladder. Once you're on the ladder, its costs may be similar to those of any other ladder, but your foot's firmly on the rung.

How can you make a 60 foot piece of towpath different to another 60 foot piece of towpath and offer it at the

'bottom end of the market' and offer it at (say) £1000 when the next mooring is achieving £10,000

The only way I can envisage that working is to offer them in non-desirable areas which no one would then take up

It has worked with housing in the past: Notting Hill and Islington were far from being desirable areas in the 1960s but now the property there attracts premium prices.

Proof that the housing market is not just broken but utterly smashed to little pieces.

Whichever way you cut it, the root problem is too many people chasing too few units of accommodation.

But the accommodation market will never be 'fixed', as there is overwhelming political opposition to both reducing population and to constructing 'enough' accommodation.

• Greenie 1

However it's pretty irresponsible of Shelter not to point out the obligations placed upon you if you choose to live on a boat ie get a mooring or comply with CRT's guidelines. As presented yes it looks an attractive option, that is until the true costs (in particular a mooring) and/or your obligations are fully understood.

Of course the fault for this could lie in the reporting of what Shelter actually said,

I read it as Shelter simply making an observation on affordable housing crtainly not saying people should move onto a boat.

Perhaps you need to lighten up.

G

Yes at times I certainly should

No of course it's not, but the lump sum, being generally much lower than that required to buy even a small flat, is surely more easily achievable, or more easily saved up for. So it's quicker and easier to get on the ladder. Once you're on the ladder, its costs may be similar to those of any other ladder, but your foot's firmly on the rung.

It has worked with housing in the past: Notting Hill and Islington were far from being desirable areas in the 1960s but now the property there attracts premium prices.

But obtaining a mortgage for a flat which is an asset that should increase in value is a tad more straight forward than getting finance for a boat which we all known does the opposite

And there will never be 'enough' accommodation because it is human nature to people to buy ever more accommodation for themselves to occupy as the price comes down, thus maintaining the 'shortage'. People aspire to bigger houses/boats/caravans/whatevers.

True - But i don't think a houseboat is the right move as your first foray onto the property ladder. Unless of course, said person is well understanding of what it requires to live on a boat. Only experience through hiring or owning a boat/boat share for personal use can give some insight on the lifestyle. Buying a boat as an alternative to a house is risky for those in the unknown. Once, if, they realise it's not for them they will end up selling and be back where they started, albiet for the worse after having paid the hidden expenses involved.

But obtaining a mortgage for a flat which is an asset that should increase in value is a tad more straight forward than getting finance for a boat which we all known does the opposite

But you can buy a boat for less than the deposit on a flat in London. My daughter when she bought her flat had to provide a deposit of £200,000

You've read the Shelter report then?

I would hazard that a boat at £135,000 in London includes mooring rights.