Places to leave a car for 4 days at Foxton

Suzie_q

Featured Posts

We are picking up some friends at Foxton during our Leicester ring run this year at the begining of July.

Is there anywhere save to leave their car for a few days?

There is a big car park at the top of the flight. Also at the bottom of the flight is Foxton boat services. If you ask Tony or Sam Matts nicely they'll probably let you park in their car park, as long as you have drinks in their bar. smile.png

There is a big car park at the top of the flight. Also at the bottom of the flight is Foxton boat services. If you ask Tony or Sam Matts nicely they'll probably let you park in their car park, as long as you have drinks in their bar. :)

Minor correction. The car park is at the bottom not top of the flight, adjacent to the arm that was used to load the boats onto the boat lift.

That is unless there is one at the top too but I don't believe there is.

I'm pretty sure both the car park at the top and bottom are CRT pay & display. I did manage to find a few little places last year where it was possible to avoid the parking fees but it is hard to explain where they were. One was on at the top of a short steep dead end hill that led off the bottom car park up towards the museum. The other was a lay-by on a country lane and the only was i could describe how to get to it would be to turn right (heading away from locks) over the first bridge you get to after the locks. About 100yds down the lane is a road junction, turn left and you will immediately see where cars park both sides of the lane.

I'm pretty sure both the car park at the top and bottom are CRT pay & display. I did manage to find a few little places last year where it was possible to avoid the parking fees but it is hard to explain where they were. One was on at the top of a short steep dead end hill that led off the bottom car park up towards the museum. The other was a lay-by on a country lane and the only was i could describe how to get to it would be to turn right (heading away from locks) over the first bridge you get to after the locks. About 100yds down the lane is a road junction, turn left and you will immediately see where cars park both sides of the lane.

I think you are correct re the pay and display. ISTR having to pay when we once visited by car.

If its a couple of quid a day I don't think our friends would mind as it was going to C&RT. But normally those sites are max 24 hrs I believe.

I think you are correct come to think of it. They are free on an evening (or the one at the bottom that I am thinking about is) is so somebody would have to feed the meter each day.

We are picking up some friends at Foxton during our Leicester ring run this year at the begining of July.

Is there anywhere save to leave their car for a few days?

Just up from Foxton is Debdale Marina . Just outside the marina is a lay by it's a quiet lane and I'm sure would be fine.

Just up from Foxton is Debdale Marina . Just outside the marina is a lay by it's a quiet lane and I'm sure would be fine.

Unfortunatly we are going South so the idea is to pick them up at Foxton, do the Market Harbourgh arm then the Welford Branch then come back to the top of Foxton to drop them off.

Don't want to have to do the locks three times.

I have now found the car park at the top and that appear to be long term, at least according to the sign you can see on Street View. And the APCOA web site lists it as being 7 pounds for the week via a mobile.

Anyone used that car park long term?

I would be wary of leaving a car in the top car park it's quite remote. It's a 15min motor to Debdale with a winding hole or I would be tempted to leave the car parked in the road in Foxton village perhaps have a Chinese at the Shoulder of Mutton and offer them a £5 to leave car in the car park.