Birchills back at BCLM

springy

Featured Posts

What a corking job, doesn't that look good. Very good match for the "Common blue" on the lining board. This livery is the last the boat carried.

Ray Thomas (Ernies son) commissioned me to build a model of" "Birchills" as built new and supplied photos and colours for the job, the model was my 212th and is stamped with that number underneath, it was a big one 20mm to 1ft and used to be in the club room at Calf Heath. You can see the detail differences in the two pictures below:

gallery_5000_522_1633.jpg

gallery_5000_522_25864.jpg

Very, very nice. Stark change from when I saw her half sunk a few years ago. Have to say the dock at BCLM and canal arm looked rather empty a few weeks ago with Peacock and Kildare missing also, and also I'm sure a tug or two were missing

Interesting that she is double ended with a cabin, not seen that before. Having lifted 'Kildares 'Ellem' anybody who wishes to move it from one end to the other needs a spine with fewer slipped disks than mine.

1000's of joeys were double ended many with day cabins, Bichills is the typical wooden variety and a prime example to preserve. The rudders were made light weight and weigh no where near that of a long distance boat so changing wasn't such a great issue.

What bothers me a bit on the boat is the scarf joints go the same way on the top strake, this was often avoided to make the boat less likely to "hog".

A stunning rebuild of the stern end by A.P Boatbuilding including a new cabin and fitments. Also a stunning Paint-job inside and out - all by Narrowcraft at Alvecote.

Nice to see traditional boatbuilding has returned to the Alvecote area. With the historical docks of Barlows just over a mile along the Coventry canal and Lee's and Atkins docks were a mile away in Polesworth, the other direction.