single handing

Dar Kuma

Featured Posts

that's an old Colvic hull (26ft?). nice shape.

and yes, it would be a PITA.

my GRP cruiser/launch has centre access to the helm, and combined with a centreline for locks it is relatively painless, but jumping on and off the stern and then getting to and from the helm would be a no-no for me.

luckily the lockies on the Thames don't mind me using just a centreline.

Its nice though.

Tim

There was a boat that used to look just like that that used to moor near us at Lemonroyd Marina. It had a canopy rather than that cabin extension.

Very nice.

is going to be a right PITA with this covered over the back I think....

18502_10155369269180441_6436406110326290

Colvic Northerner?

Came within a gnat's of buying one once, great little sea boat, some had steadying/downwind sails fitted, and built like a brick, er, outhouse; there's a beautiful one near me called "mustard", and she is.

But, yes, don't even think about mooring up if there's a bit of a breeze. She'll handle very well so you can get her exactly where you want her, but ten minutes later, when you've fought your way out, the bow will be miles off angry.pngfrusty.gif

is going to be a right PITA with this covered over the back I think....

18502_10155369269180441_6436406110326290

Yes, if it had some sort of door that might help...tongue.png

Is the door at the back or on the other side? Single-handing is obviously much easier when you have quick access to ropes, but the boat's not that big, so if you can bring bow ropes back on either side outside the rail upstands towards the front of the wheelhouse (assuming you can do that without them falling off the deck), and bring centre ropes back on each side towards your exit point that would help. Then it's just a question of making sure nothing on deck is going to get caught between the standing ends and tails of the ropes when you come to use them.

Edited by blackrose

The door is the flat panel type thing on the roof....

Surely you must remove that "shed" when you are cruising then? It would be extremely dangerous to be virtually locked in a box with the only exit through the roof.

Edited by Tam & Di

and I got a bite....Loool, the door is actually at the back wink.png

and the houdini hatch up front.

there is a solar panel on the roof.

Edited by Dar Kuma

and I got a bite....Loool, the door is actually at the back wink.png

I bet you feel really pleased with yourself.

I see from your profile you've not added any friends yet. Wonder why!

Edited by Tam & Di
  • Greenie 1

you make it sound that easy blackrose....

Well since I handle a 32 tonne boat on my own it does seem fairly easy to me.

Plenty of people move Dutch barges with wheelhouses by themselves.

But the tone of your reply suggests that you don't really want advice (only intended to help), so in future I'd suggest you make that clear in your original post, or just don't bother posting in the first place.

Edited by blackrose

A dutch barge is a hell of a lot heavier than a 26 foot colvic, blackrose, not so easy to push around.

Unfortunately it seems people do not think about even the smallest detail, including you....

a 32 tonne boat against a colvic that weighs in around 4000KG, yeah, nice comparison....stop being a tool.

We have both single handed our Sealine and it isn't the easiest. The slightest hint of wind and it buggers off.

We have also found it doesn't work well with a centre rope. Having some shape to the hull instead of slab sides means it tends to roll around the centre and stick the bow in the bank.

Far better to bring the bow rope to the cockpit and have hold of both ends as you step off to moor up.

I fully agree that single handing a light cruiser is nothing like single handing a heavy steel boat. Both handle completely differently.

For what's it's worth ours is lighter again then your Colvic at 2.4 tonnes.

Ideally I want to keep the back covered, aids in security and warmth, and NC, thanks

I may have an idea by what you have said ;)

I like the boat- but your posts always seem to degenerate into aggressiveness or smart arse commentsclosedeyes.gif

Not really, I just think about what I'm going to do instead of running headlong into a massive problem.

sorry for the double post.